diagnosing 1997 stratus fuel system

greetings, my 97 straus will not start and i believe it is the fuel system. my gas gauge reads empty and i know there is at least a half tank of gas. when i spray some starter fluid into the air intake the car will start momentarily (a couple of seconds) and then quit. i checked the fuel pump fuse and it is okay. is there anyway to check the fuel pump without dropping the tank? i have a volt/ohmmeter but i am not exactly sure how to use it many thanks, cj

Reply to
cj

Try smacking the bottom of the tank while someone is turning the key on and see if you hear the pump running. Im pretty sure that the wire connector on that year runs inside the vehicle just behind the back seat cushion. remove the cushion to test for a good ground and battery voltage.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Don't be surprised if it happens again, I would suspect a faulty fuel pump before a loose connection, But NEway, im gload you got it started

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower