'00 Dodge Dakota Key Won't Turn

This all started happening after I went into a ditch. I got the truck towed home and the next morning the key would not turn in the ignition. This happens sometimes but is usually fixed by a jiggle of the steering wheel. I called the company who towed me, which is also the local auto mechanic, they said they didn't know what was wrong with it. He said he got it to work after he lubed the ignition lock cylinder. Worked/started great for a total of seven times before it locked up again. I tried some lock de-icer/lubricant and it didnt do the trick for me. I was curious if there was anything else I could try myself before I take it back to the mechanic to stratch his head?

Thanks All.

Reply to
1337evilyoda

Have it realigned. Then when you park, c*ck the wheels slightly toward the curb (if there is one, if not, to the right) so that the steering wheel is lined up with its lock. This should ease the tension on the wheel, thus not inducing it to jam the lock mechanism.

Reply to
Max Dodge

I don't know about your truck but on my van the Ignition lock was a pretty easy to replace. NAPA had it in stock for about $25.00.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep