2003 QuadCab - where to get ignition power?

I'm looking for a 12v power source on the driver's side - one that goes off with the key. Is there an easy spot to do this or will I have to run one in from the fuse box in the engine compartment?

Reply to
John

Easiest would be to tap to your ignition or starter wire. You can find this in the main harness running from the ignition switch down. Drop the knee bolster, find the harness and you want the Dark Blue for your ignition or Yellow for your starter.

Reply to
azwiley1

Ok, so the Dark Blue would be a 12v source that goes off with the ignition? I pulled the lower panel (I assume what you mean when you say knee bolster) - will this Dark Blue wire be with many others, or by itself (or only a few others)?

Thanks!

Reply to
John

I tapped the cigarette lighter wire (red) for my gauge power (also own an '03). It's a 20A circuit all to itself. Since I never use the lighter, it's perfect.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Does your lighter goes off when the ignition is off?

Reply to
John

The Dk. Blue wire will be in a harness with about 6 others. I will be bundled with the yellow wire I referenced. This Dk. Blue is your Ignition 1 wire and will only have 12 volts when you have the key all the way forward (with or with out the truck running) it will not work in the accessory position.

If you want it to work in the accessory position, then you have to tap your accessory wire which is Green or Orange.

Reply to
azwiley1

Reply to
John

On my 2004 Durango I used the dash cigarette lighter to tap into. Needed it to install an after market stereo. It's proximity to the stereo made it very simple to tap.

Reply to
miles

Would I have tapped it as a switched power source if it didn't? :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

On my 03 QC, I have the lighter, and the 12v plug. They are really the same. The lighter goes off and on with the ignition. Yours should too.

Reply to
Xclimation

Touche. Mine stays on so I thought it was strange yours go's off.

Reply to
John

I'm talking about the actual cigarette lighter, not the 12V accessory outlet at the bottom. The lighter is powered off of fuse #29, which is only energized in the run or accessory positions of the ignition switch.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

I've had this truck for a week and didn't even notice the actual lighter (not just the power outlet). Worked like a charm.

Reply to
John