Clockspring on 2000 Ram 2500

My airbag light first started coming on during left hand turns, now it is on full-time. Also have lost cruise control. So based on research here, I'm suspecting bad clock spring.

Looking at this link (2001 TSB)

Geno's!) it looks to be a pretty straightforward fix. Isthis something for the DIY mechanic? One thing I don't know about ishow to remove the tilt steering knob. I quickly glanced at it and Idon't see a set screw, and I couldn't just twist it off. Anybody knowhow this is removed? Also, would a standard NAPA steering wheel puller do the trick?

Thanks in advance.

Jack

P.S. I love this sequence of instructions. You're darn right I'm gonna be outside the vehicle when I fire up the air bag again!

  1. With the ignition switch in the ON position, connect the negative battery cable.

  1. From outside the vehicle, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position for about 10 seconds and then turn it back to the ON position.

Reply to
jackvt80

Twist harder. It just unscrews counter-clockwise. Maybe a pair of pliers with soft jaws (or just wrap a rag around the lever) is needed.

Yep - should be fine.

Do you have a set of Torx screwdrivers? You'll need them for the screws that hold the steering column shroud halves together.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Ok. I'll give the tilt lever a little more oomph. It's easier when you know how it should come off! And I should have the right torx tips...

Thanks, as always, Tom.

Jack

Reply to
jackvt80