Fuel mileage on the oil-burners is ALWAYS better than the gasoline version of the same vehicle, but with the exception of the TDI it will also have significantly poorer performance for the same engine size. The old Turbo Jettas were pretty acceptable on the highway after you got them wound up, while the normally aspirated version was a DOG.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I guess that depends on how high the price of diesel gets to, especially in the winter. We are also talking about a truck. I doubt you will see that significant of a difference between them. Then again, it is a truck and most people will not want some minature diesel to save money on fuel and have no more torque and less HP than the gas version. This should be obvious with the constant power bumps every year with the big trucks.

Are you saying that you only paid $350 more for your Cummins than someone else would with the same truck with a 360?

That would indicate that it is around 3 cents MORE than regular. Diesel is about the same price as regular here but a few weeks ago, it was 20 cents more a gallon than for regular.

Reply to
TBone

No, it just works differently in Maxworld :-)

Reply to
TBone

Diesel is about the same and sometimes a bit higher than premium....about 20 cents above regular. Been that way for several years now.

Reply to
miles

That depends on where you are. Here in NJ, my local station had the following this morning:

87 - $2.899 89 - $2.999 93 - $3.099 #2 - $2.919
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thats true. Meant to say here in AZ. My keyboard is wireless and when the batteries are low it leaves out words sometimes.

Reply to
miles

You should get an ac adapter for your wireless keyboard. ;^)

Reply to
Nosey

Ok, so you are too amusing to let go....

Last I checked, my tailpipe is outside my truck, which is what I referred to. Clearly you do not read very well, if at all, what I say. Of course, the other option is that your tailpipe is INside your truck, which would explain a few things.

Gasoline smells about the same amount and sticks to your hand at least as well. Though God only knows WHY you would have either on your hand unless you are a Bhuddist Monk protesting a war.

Once again, you speak without thinking. The Liberty has a great towing/hauling capacity, and IT has a diesel option.

And if you think everyone buys one because they need to compensate for something, you might be the one who needs to compensate.

The low sulphur requirement went into effect almost 5 years ago. I can't remember buying fuel that did NOT have a label saying it was "low sulphur on road" diesel. Thus your rhetoric about increased price over sulphur regs is bullshit. The increase happened 5 years ago, if at all.

Justification, no matter how lame, is by its inherent definition "just." If it is just, it is fair, and is therefore.... reasonable and accepted. IOW, you just admitted that "no means no", and what I said is true.

More rubbish from you. the demand for diesel is at least what the demand from gasoline is, or haven't you noticed all the tractor trailers on the road?

Even when I have to pay for it, (and why would I get it for free?) it'll be about the same price if not lower than refined diesel. Further, it burns cleaner than gasoline, diesel or ethanol. Since you are so concerned with emissions, that should interest you.

Except that I've used facts and you have none. Care to try again?

Reply to
Max Dodge

I saw a couple of those monks do their thing a long time ago. Their mileage was horrible.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

V8: 235HP/330lb.ft. 12MPG mixed driving, 8MPG towing V10: 310HP/450lb.ft. 10MPG mixed driving, 6MPG towing I6: 305HP/555lb.ft. 19MPG mixed driving, 15MPG towing I6+: 650HP/1200lb.ft. 18MPG mixed driving, 15MPG towing

All of the above are on a 1-ton, DRW pickup - used for a combination of towing, hauling, and commuting. The V8 numbers are second-hand from several personal contacts (and since you mentioned 360, we're going with that engine). All other numbers are actual observed numbers first-hand. (The I6+ is the slightly-modified-over-stock engine that currently resides in my truck, thrown in just for power output comparison)

Let's say mid-grade fuel is $3.10, and diesel is $3.20 (while the V10 can run 87, I've found a tendency to ping, especially under load. The V8 is more susceptible to pinging, so IMO 89 is required). Over 1,000 miles, here's the fuel costs, assuming all commuting miles (ie. no load):

V8 - $258.33 V10 - $310.00 I6 - $168.42 I6+ - $177.78

Now let's look at 1,000 towing miles:

V8 - $387.5 V10 - $516.67 I6/I6+ - $213.34

There's a savings of $174.16 per 1,000 miles between the I6 and the V8 when towing, and almost $90 per 1,000 miles when commuting. Assuming an 80/20 utilization of the vehicle (80% of the time used for commuting), that's an average savings of $106.83 per 1,000 miles. That means in under 50,000 miles, the diesel option (at $5K) pays for itself. That's negating all other benefits as well (longevity, reliability, re-sale value, and better overall drivability).

My point in all this is simple: diesel power is a viable alternative for big and small vehicles alike. It's cheaper to operate, whether you're pulling 80K in a class 8 truck with a 14 liter engine, or commuting to work in a 2-door compact with a

Reply to
Tom Lawrence
Reply to
Christopher Thompson

premium....about

LOL, that was good.

Reply to
TBone

big solar panel.. *g* Mac

mac davis

Sure would have been funny to switch their fuel to diesel and watch them try to light it.. *eg*

Mac

mac davis

The one that impressed me was the 4-banged TD that Mitsubitsi used to put in their "mighty max" pickup... I would have bought that truck just for the engine if they were available in a

2wd truck.. Mac

mac davis

Chris, do you have the curb weight difference of one with the crd and one without. Or was the 260 pounds that difference?

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Bro, I'm sure somebody would have lit them up.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

As are you maxi, as are you.

Sorry Maxi, but it appears that you are the one who cannot read clearly or just have a complete lack of comprehension.

Gasoline smells nothing like diesel and although stronger, it fades much more quickly. If some gas dribbles down the side of the vehicle or down the overflow, it evaporates quickly and the smell is gone, not so with diesel and I prefer the smell of gas to that of diesel although I prefer not to be exposed to either for any real lengh of time.

And how much more does it have than the gas engine version and what is the price difference.

I didn't say everyone Max but from what I see, the majority of people who own SUV's never use them for anything that a car couldn't do.

again, you speak with your head up your ass.

Your constant spin is getting old.

LOL, how many commuters are driving those tractor trailers? The price is based on the current demand and right now, it is very low as far as commuters go and if that demand increases, so will the price and once again, you have saod nothing of value here.

It does interest me and if they get it right then I'm all for it but that time is not now. As far as being the same or lower price, once again, supply and demand will cure that, just like the record profits by the oil companies now. As for the free supplies, I was referring to the free used cooking oil that is currently available to make it.

Really, where???? Just because you spin and come out with complete and pure BS doesn't make it facts.

Reply to
TBone