Edffects of overloading truck??

I have an '03 Ram 1500 pickup with the 4.7 engine and auto transmission. I picked up a pallet of concrete stones that I use to build a retaining wall yesterday. I thought that they would weigh about 1500 pounds and I wasn't too worried about damaging the truck.

When they lowered the pallet onto the truck, it really dropped and I know that it was more than 1500 lb.. I drove home, about 8 miles at speeds lower than 30 mph and didn't see any adverse effects.

My question to the experts. Did I do any damage to the truck with this overload that I might be able to observe by looking underneath?

Don

Pinehollow

No, don't worry about it. I've seen these trucks get really abused for long periods of time and do fine.

Reply to
.boB

OK, thanks. I weighed the blocks and each was 24 lb.. I had 112 of them so with the pallet, it was about 2700 lb.. It did seem to drop the rear end of the truck over a foot when it was loaded. It had me concerned!!

Don

Pinehollow

Damn.... assuming 300 pounds of driver and assorted stuff in the cab, you had 1

1/2 tons on a 1/2 ton pickup.. must be "Ram tough"...

I wouldn't turn my back on it for a while, it might be pissed.. *lol*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I had a brand new 02 2wd dakota club cab for work-and a work owned truck...used it to pick up a yard of loam for my house....Mr. Fleet manager-safety guy driving the trailer hitch home with 3000 lbs. of wet loam in the back of a dakota....talk about crying while you drive..but I really needed the loam :) You'd be surprised how much steering you don't have when you put that much over....NEVER AGAIN

Reply to
nesafety

Might be the first street stock Dak to pull a wheelie.. *g*