engine light

The engine light came on & stayed on yesterday on a 2000 Ram with a 5.9 ltr engine.One thing the mech said to check was how tight the gas cap was on.Everything is running fine with all fluid levels up to par.Should i worry & take it in or just wait and see.The light is not flashing it just stays on...Bob

Reply to
Robert

I had a 2001 ram 1500 and that happened to me. Replaced the gas cap gasket and all was well.

Reply to
Scott Hendryx

I've had a 2003 1500 and a 2005 2500 that that has happened with. Each time, I just turned the cap about 4-5 clicks more and normally the "check engine" light was out the next morning. So much for the "good ole' days" when a car/truck would run, well enough, with a cloth stuck in the gas tank neck! Hehehe!

Hawkeye65

Reply to
The Addison's

Bob:

Check engine lights drive me crazy, since I'm an engineer and really, really want to know what the problem is... So, I've been going to AutoZone and taking advantage of their free code scanning. They are happy to do it, since I usually buy a part from them as a result.

So, if you really want to know, get the code pulled!

--Phil

Robert wrote:

Reply to
Phil

I had the same problem, cured by a gas station attendant in Oregon that pointed out the writing on the friggin gas cap..lol

Mac

mac davis

Out there in Oregon do they print on the mirrors "objects in mirrors are behind you"?

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Had this happen to me three days before I need to have the state inspection done and it will not pass with an illuminated MIL Lamp.

An "idjet" cut me off as I was pulling away at a green light (yes, he ran a red) so I hit the brake with the left foot as I was pulling the right one off the accelerator. This caused two codes to be set mis-fire number eight cylinder and Brake and accelerator positions not compatible and the MIL lamp came on. Reading my service manual I discovered that after three good trips these errors would reset and turn off the lamp. Two days of to work and home again, the lamp went out and the codes no longer appeared. Went and got the inspection done immediately.

So find out what code is that's turning the MIL lamp on and deal with it as necessary.

Happy Camping. snipped-for-privacy@NOPANTS.juno.com Remove NOPANTS To reply by direct E-Mail;

2003 Dodge 1500 QC SB Hemi, A/T, Tow Package, 3.92 gears (11 mpg Towing) 2001 Aerolite 21RDB 21ft TT (Scales 2900 dry)
Reply to
Thats Me

Retrieve the diagnostic codes. Cycle the ignition three times: ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON. The odometer will display one or more diagnostic codes (Pxxxx, with the x's being numbers). Post these codes back here, and someone will tell you what they mean.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence