front break rattling

Hello,

I replaced the front break on my 2002 Dodge Grant Caravan with a new pair of pads with the rotors tuned last weekend. I checked and everything seemed to be done properly. But I noticed that when I applied the break, especially when going downhill, a kind of rattling noise came from one side of the break. This happened only when the break was applied somewhat heavily. I double-checked calipers, rotors, etc. and their installation, and couldn't find nothing wrong.

I would appreciate any advice or insights. Thanks.

- P

Reply to
p_xue

What's a break? I looked over all the thousands of parts for the Dakota and there is none called break??? Do you mean BRAKE, as in the device that slows and stops the vehicle?

Reply to
ar50troll

Sorry for the typo. I meant to say "brake" but typed "break". Thanks.

- P

Reply to
p_xue

I had the front brakes done on my '02 Durango a couple of months ago. About

2-3 weeks ago I was hearing what sounded like a rattling coming from the drivers side. This was when I went over bumps driving around town. I took it to my mechanic and they adjusted some dust shields and wheel well shields in the front tire areas and I thought that would take care of it. However, the next day I heard the noise again, called my mechanic, and they suggested I take it back to my dealer, which is what I did. They found that some clips were missing on the left front side that hold the pad in place. I took it back to my mechanic again (since they did the brakes originally) and they put the clips in place. Since then, I've had no problems. I don't know if this is the same for you but it's something to inquire about.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I had a similar experience with my mechanic a few years ago. They did the work in a sloppy way and didn't bother to put the "clips"

- anti-rattle spring - . On my car this time, clips are put properly. The rattling occurs only when the brake is applied heavily and when the car is going downhill. Thank you anyway.

Reply to
p_xue

Oh no, my mechanic didn't do a sloppy job. In fact, they're top notch. They do excellent work. I forgot to mention before that the dealer told my mechanic the clips were only needed if there was any type of gap in between the pad and the rotor. Apparently the clips aren't needed most of the time. Oh well, good luck.

Those are called anti-rattle clips.

Reply to
Carolina Watercraft Works

That's right. I couldn't remember and didn't feel like going into the basement to get the paperwork to look it up.