OT: Car Prowls

My wife's Blazer was prowled last night, and while they didn't take anything, they obviously looked for something to take. What little that was in the car was tossed around inside. And they tried to jimmy her "The Club" that was on the steering wheel, but only resulted in freezing it, so we had to call a locksmith to drill it out. This is the 4th prowl in the last couple years - the first two times, they broke windows to get in. When I asked the window guy why aren't windows harder to break, he said "Safety, you might want to get out!". So I guess she needs a new car. What type of car/truck is prowled the least? Can I get it with bullet proof windows (that can't be smashed)?

Reply to
Phil Rhodes

I would recommend that you start checking your local insurance angents and/or police as they would be able to tell you best for your area. Kind of hard to give any detail not knowing where you live and not living there ourselves.

Reply to
azwiley1

Talk about freeze.it must have been an amature. Those "clubs" be easily removed in ways. One is using refrigerant and spraying in the lock whch will make it brittle enough to break or cut the steering wheel (it's made of flimsy aluminum for safety).

No glass if bullet proof. Bullet resistant windows are VERY expensive and you would no longer be able to open the windows anymore. You have to take the vehicle to a shop that does it to get it done.

3M makes a 8 mil (that is 5-10 times thicker than a garbage bag) window film you can put on your windows. A brick or crow bar to the windows would still break, but the glass would and window would remain in place . You can find more info on their web site. >
Reply to
GeekBoy

I would either move or I would shoot the thieves.

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Have you considered relocating?

"Leroy"

Reply to
Leroy

Suddenly, without warning, Phil Rhodes exclaimed (17-Jan-07 5:15 AM):

One of our neighbors discovered the cure to car prowlers. German Shepard and a cricket bat (well we ARE in Australia).

Didn't know the pasttime had a name, but a pair of indigenous locals had been preying on our little mostly-American apartment complex for a while. Fortunately they were the quiet type, and didn't break windows. Just checked all the cars (and back yards) they could get into for something portable. Once in a while would fall asleep in an unlocked car. Once they lobbed a golf ball over the fence and shattered the neighbor's solar water heater.

The guys musta thought our neighbor was lying in wait. The wife was watching TV at around 1am, all the lights were off in the house (hubby had just gone to bed).

She saw them, called her husband down, who ran outside with Titan, the dog (who's actually just this side of a big, furry wuss ) and the aforementioned cricket bat.

Chased one over the fence. The way he tells the story is that he invited the guy back over the fence, "but he wouldn't" :)

Anyway, since that day a month or so ago, we've not had one incident. Before, we were having incidents and/or sightings sometimes multiple times a week.

Damn crazy Americans!

Oh, sorry, can't answer your question, except something old and decrepit, with nothing of value kept inside. A loud alarm system might be better than bullet-proof glass (you might just save your wife's life by NOT going for unbreakable glass).

Or, you could leave the doors unlocked and nothing valuable inside... which is what some folks do here (I figure that just encourages repeat offenders here, but in your case it might help).

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Get her an ugly color Yugo :))) Or a Lada dale

Reply to
Dale Yonz

8> Once in a while would fall asleep in an unlocked car. Damn crazy

You or the thieves?

8> Oh, sorry, can't answer your question, except something old and

More thieves are stopped by a blinking LED than by door locks anyway.

That's great advice, especially for someone with a convertible. Replacement tops are very expensive.

Reply to
Nosey

Or an '84 Chevette!

Reply to
BigIronRam

A '92 dodge van with honeybs on the licence plate seems to work.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

Yup. Here in Texas you can shoot the bastards after dark in order to protect your property. I'm not sure where the OP is located.

Bob

Reply to
Bob M

Or a butt ugly orange ford pinto

Reply to
Dale Yonz

Suddenly, without warning, Nosey exclaimed (17-Jan-07 9:08 PM):

Guy here has a soft top Jeep, with neat little knife-cut hole in the plastic window. Breaking windows is noisy. Cutting them is not... but they found out it was a waste of time, he don't keep nuttin' in his jeep.

jmc

Reply to
jmc

Actually, I think I *DID* own an 84 Chevette, and no one broke into it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon