OT<<HybridS>>

Yeah, but I bet that guy in the lawnchair with all the balloons I saw on the news today got a lot better mileage than that. They say he went as high as

12,000 feet and traveled several hundred miles without burning a drop of gas.

Personaly, I think personal lighter than air vehicles might be a cheap, environmental way to go.

beekeep

Reply to
beekeep

I'd like to see ya strap your ass to a lawn chair and a bunch of balloon's.

Reply to
Roy

The heck with the gas, did you see what they want as a deposit on those toy's? I wonder what the final price is. Where do you get them repaired?

Reply to
Roy

Final price is as listed. Around $100k. TBone said he wanted 2 seater roadster with good performance and good fuel economy. I believe my recommendation is the best one so far. :-)

Repairs take place at their dealerships. California, Illinois and Florida, IIRC. I'm guessing they are planning to open other dealerships in other states. I thought I remembered TBone saying he is from NC. Florida isn't so far ...

And you ... you have no excuse. :-)

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

There is NO WAY this would work with the Wabbit. Do you have ANY idea how many damn balloons it would take to lift him!!!

Reply to
azwiley1

Nah, the Corvette cost half as much. You can spend the 50K on gas and get it serviced anywhere.

I think I'll stick with the Camry

Reply to
Roy

And the environment?

Doing the best you can, environmentally speaking, is A-OK with me ... not that you need my approval ...

I think I may change jobs soon. Which means I won't be able to ride the light rail anymore. That being the case, a hybrid purchase might be just around the corner. If I had an extra $100K, I'd have a Tesla, but if I had that kind of extra money, I wouldn't be working. :-)

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Most roadsters aren't known for their great economy but there are a few. I like the Soltice but its not very practical with a tiny trunk. Thats the problem with most 2 seaters.

So its ok to own a gas guzzler if it meets a persons needs. Guess what Tom, thats why most buy them. It fits their needs. Or is it just your needs that count and only certain needs qualify to make it acceptable?

Gores house is not efficient. I do not consider $30,000 in gas and electic bills to be efficient for a private home. Thats nearly 20 times the national average energy consumption use. How many kids does Gore have living at home? Does he need a 20 bedroom house not including the

4 bedroom guest house?

Now lets compare that to Bush who can't have the environment in his interest right? His home is solar powered as well as has a rain water collection and waste water purification system.

Yes, they are public. In most states anyone can call the power company and find out how much the bills average. Helps potential buyers I suppose.

He uses over 200,000 kwh's in a private residence each year. Sorry TBone, no matter how you spin it Gore is a wasteful rich energy guzzler. If I want to live by example I'd pick Bush's energy efficient home to Gores despite Gores talk about the need to be energy conservative. Bush does a better job of it.

Yes and his spin is just that. Gores movie does have some good to it. If it gets people to conserve and pollute less then thats a good thing. But his methods and own lifestyle do not match what he himself says. Why didn't Gore have Bush's home in the movie as an example of how to be energy efficient? Why didn't he show his own home? Answers to both those questions show who Gore truly is.

Yes, we should all live in homes that consume over 200,000 kwh's a year with a bill of $30,000, drives a gas guzzling car and then uses carbon credits to say its all ok for him.

Bush on the other hand has a fully energy efficient solar home with many other energy efficient designs.

Reply to
miles

So the economic indicators only measure whats happening with the very small % of rich people? The same indicators used during Clintons era that you tout has having a great economy? Do you always pull ideas out of thin air or do you have some solid data to back up this 'only the rich are doing well' guess?

Hmm...the same indicators used by the liberals during Clintons era suggest otherwise.

Smoke and mirrors is right TBone. If your statement were true then the new jobs created and total workforce numbers would not be going up.

Then that would be reflected in the median income reports which clearly show an increase, not a decrease. Once again you pull concepts out of thin air to support your beliefs rather than reality.

No Tom, the median income is rising, not falling. The only way for that to happen is if the new jobs or raises are rather high. The median income isn't a poor salary. It's middle class Tom.

And that income is rising faster than inflation.

The number of new jobs while very good doesn't support your claim. Besides, you used the very same economic figures to say why the economy was so good under Clinton. Show comparable provable stats Tom.

No Tom they do no such thing. Show me the 'Government' reports and not a liberal commentary site.

Reply to
miles

I don't disagree in principle with any of the above..... however, (there's always a however, isn't there?).... I am not convinced that the global warming is entirely man induced, nor do I believe that global warming is necessarily bad. Several economic studies have shown that there may indeed be a net benefit from global warming. Nor do I sign on with the the crowd (Al Gore types mainly) that say that because of global warming the world will come to an end. If we subscribe to their panic and adopt their proposed solutions, we will create economic chaos that would make any negative effects from global warming look like a walk in the (albeit warm) park.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Yabbut, he doesn't "need" a mansion for just he and Tipper does he? No matter how energy efficient the Gore manse is, I'm sure that he would be much more energy frugal with a 1400 square foot ranch home that was well built, wouldn't he? Or is the "so what" intended to indicate that Mr Gore can own any house that he damned well pleases? If so, then why or why do all the liberals tree huggers have their undies in a bunch about the folks who choose to own an SUV? Explain the dichotomy if you please.

Hmmmm..... the Gore manse is located in TN which has a lot of TVA power both hydro, nuke and coal fired.... are you sure that all the energy Mr Gore consumes truly comes from renewable sources? Using that argument then, those of us who are fortunate enough to live near utilities which derive their power from renewable sources are thus able to be as prolifigate with our energy use as we damned well please whilst those poor bastards who get their juice from coal fired plants must then be frugal with every watt. Or, do we as "children of the planet" as the left would have take responsibility for our energy consumption regardless of it origin? Which way is it?.. I always get confused about that part.

Ahhhh..... I see.... he couldn't just hop a "Hound" to spread awareness and save all that energy, since he is amongst the cultural elite, he gets a pass on energy consumption while he is spreading the message to us, the great unwashed..... ummmmmm I don't think so...

At some point it needs to stop. I'll be watching

The Prius is the only vehicle in the Gore fleet? Are you sure?

Reply to
Mike Simmons

Ummmmmm.... where do you suppose the energy comes from to power this alleged miracle vehicle, hmmmmm?

Reply to
Mike Simmons

It comes from grid power usually, which can include renewable sources like wind, hydro and solar if the homeowner chooses.

It can also come from renewable sources off the grid like solar panels and wind turbines. That's where my electricity comes from ...

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Does this mean that all WC's have to shut down???? Bummer.......

Denny

Reply to
Denny

I really doubt if the Goodyear blimp could hoist your ass.......

Denny

Reply to
Denny

WTF!!!!! Is this "f*ck with the bunny night" or what???? Answer to the question is zero.... All it takes is a crave case of WC's

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Probably not. However, that's his choice.

Agreed. I live in a 1300 square foot home myself, run entirely from wind and solar power.

That is correct.

I have no problem with owning an SUV. Hell, I own a 3/4 ton Dodge with a Cummins. I drive it less than 1000 miles per year. I ride the light rail about 20000 miles per year.

If I could not ride the light rail, my choice would be to own and drive a hybrid.

According to his publicist, yes his power comes from wind, hydro and solar. Just recently, he got approval (from HOA and city) to add solar panels and wind turbines to his property.

Don't be confused ... just do the best you can. If renewable power is within your grasp, then it is your responsibility to use it, IMO. For those that don't have the choice, there are alternatives. Solar panels, wind turbines, etc. I realize these are pricey, but as long as it is a priority, say over 24" rims on your H2, I have no complaint.

Well, I'm sorry that you don't see the benefit. Your loss I suppose. I would prefer that he not fly but I can see the benefit as long as it isn't abused.

Supposedly all of his vehicles run by alternative means. Last thing I read, he traded his and his wifes Caddy in for Prius'.

One thing is certain, for all his many faults, he is doing more than 90% of the population about reversing the effects of global warming. Regardless of your personal feelings about him, he is doing the "right thing".

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Yes. Massive air pollution results from WC burgers.

:-) Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

Some/All new 4 cycle mowers have catalytic converters integrated in the muffler. I picked up a v-shaft Tecumseh 6.5 off Ebay (electric start, $145ish shipped - starts great off a 4.5 ah sealed 12v battery, and has a generator) to replace a bent shaft B&S 3.5 on my push mower. Using Rotella T HD30 oil changed at 3 and 20 hours. After 25 hours of use the exhaust ports are *clean* like brand new. This leads me to believe the exhaust stream is significantly cleaner than it was in the past.

More on topic, I believe its 10-20x more pollution based on maximum carrying ability of the vehicle. Most cars are driven by one person, carrying very darned little in the car. Something that could easily fit on a 100cc scooter. Of course, thats still 2-3x more pollution than a clean running 3Lish V6-powered car would get making the same route, despite that 3Lish v6 powered car using, say, 3x more fuel in the process (so lets say.... 10x more pollution per gasoline unit burned)

Now, theres nothing saying this couldn't be fixed. Theres no rule saying small engines have to be dirty. Its up to the customer (or the customer's government, in today's society) to dictate the requirement for cleaner engines.

Reply to
balsofsteele

Look at ya!! I make one remark about WC and you respond with a uncalled for attack. I'm shattered. So to recover, while you have your fat ass at work, hanging over the fender of some 200 degree engine, I will drive my skinny ass to the beach for a few hours and play in the surf and watch the girls. Oh, at around noon, while your circling the "roach coach" like a friggin buzzard I'll pop a cool beer and toast ya.

Roy

Reply to
Roy