OT Vacum cleaners!!!

Ken,

Where did you serve?

My eldest son was in the Navy at JAX NAS, in the HS-7 Squadron on board the Truman until a couple years ago.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

Well, I brought one home, charged it and let it loose. It is fun to watch, almost seemed to follow the wife's German Shepherd around. She finally got pissed and flipped over with her nose. Anyway it does tile real good but really sucks on rug with dog hair. So it goes back in the morning. I suppose if you didn't have a dog it might be okay. Oh well.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Who slammed anything?? What the f*ck is with you anyway? Why don't you stick to what is written rather than putting your spin on it.

I've found it bad practice to pry however light with a screw driver.

Budd nobody said or implied that you were lying. I'm done.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

Most women would be pretty ticked at getting a household cleaning product as a present!! Most guys would be dead meat!!

I have a central vac system installed in my house. Still gotta vacuum as normal but all exhaust goes outside rather than through a filter and back into the house. Plus it pulls up the dog hair and far more dirt than I could ever get with an upright. Expensive but well worth every penny.

Reply to
miles

She's real easy going, and real hard to buy a gift for.

I thought about that but I don't want to put more into this place until we decide what we are going to do. Keep it or move and sell it.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

You can take the central vac with you if you move. Thats the main cost if you do the install labor yourself. That involves putting PVC pipe down the interior walls and usually routed to the garage where the vac itself mounts on the wall.

Reply to
miles

What part of Florida?

Teaching positions always seem to be in demand. She shouldn't have any trouble as long as there are no extra requirements for teaching in that state.

My insurance company sent out a crew to dry the house out right away. They had dehumidifiers and fans running for about a week. They drilled holes in the walls under the baseboard so they could get hoses blowing air into them. All the wet insulation and carpeting got removed right away so there won't be a mold problem later. I stripped the wallpaper in the bathroom on Saturday and there isn't any drywall damage there. I think the wallpaper saved it. I did prime the walls with Kilz so I wouldn't have a problem with the paint not sticking to the remaining trace amount of wallpaper adhesive. I painted that bathroom yesterday and laid out a floor template today. I start cutting wonderboard tomorrow for the new tile floor. The vinyl flooring was ruined but the subfloor is still solid. The garage is under that room. The ceiling drywall got ruined down there so it got removed. That made it convenient to inspect the flooring from underneath. After that bathroom is finished I'm going to tile the floor in the master bathroom too. There isn't any water damage in there but I want to pull up the vinyl to fix the squeaks. I'm also going to install wainscoting in the master bath but I don't want to put it up until the floor is done. I stripped the wallpaper and painted the upper 2/3 of those walls a couple of weeks ago. The master bedroom is getting new carpet as well as the hallway. I'm installing laminate flooring in the dining room and living room. All of that should keep me busy for a while.

I retired from the Navy. I keep the pension no matter how much I make. Maybe I'll buy a Snap-On franchise....

Reply to
Nosey

I remember talking to you about Bryon when I was going to be on the Truman in 2002 for fleet week. My career was a bit strange. I did 20 years of active duty with the reserves. That whole time I only saw two foreign countries, and I drove to both of them on leave. I did travel a bunch here though. I've been in 48 of the 50 states (never been to Idaho or Oregon). During my sea duty periods I spent more time on detachments than most regular Navy spend at sea. I know that isn't exactly the same, but sure is alot of time away from home. For permanent duty stations I've been in Virginia Beach VA (VC-12), Willow Grove PA (station), Fort Worth TX (station), Atlanta GA (VFA-203), back to Fort Worth TX (VFA-201). I've worked on A-4s for 5 years, ran two cryogenic chemical facilities for 8 years, and worked on F/A-18s for 7 years. I retired from Fort Worth and moved back to Atlanta in November. My retirement was "official" on the first of this month.

Reply to
Nosey

Around Palm Coast. About 30 miles north of Daytona

Talked to sis in law she says teaching job are around. Also found out the property tax is up there as well. Everything else seems to be less costly, auto insurance utilities municipal services. Also it is warm. Gotta see what develops though over the next year. Thinking about driveing down there for a couple of weeks in July to try and get a better feel for things.

Sounds like you have a full plate for a bit.

That's another thing I have to look at. I've the grey ID card so any military installation in the area is a plus.

Had to go there didn't ya!

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I put it in at the other house. This one is all one level and no cellar so it would have to go in a closet and run the pvc up into the attic then down into the rooms. Don't know if the getting is worth the going. She's been talking about going to DC for a week with a couple of her girl friends. Maybe I'll spring for the hotel room.

Roy

Reply to
Roy

I did. You worded your sentence to read like Craftsman tools were not good. SInce you can't put inflection or emotion into the words, sometimes the intended meaning is misplaced.

That's why my sentences sometimes read a little different. I try to be exact with the meanings.

Agreed, but it's no longer any good as a screwdriver, or did you miss that also?

In this group, especially the past three years or so, when someone has used the words, "if you say so" or variants on the phrase, the implication, MOST OF THE TIME, has been that I was not being truthful and/or believable.

If the words I read are in a phrasing I find offensive then I have the right to be offended.

Ok, you're done, I'm done and the thread is done.

***
Reply to
Budd Cochran

So, what have you got planned for the future?

Reply to
Budd Cochran

When I started my apprenticeship in 1968 I bought a set of Craftsman tools. I still have most of that original set - the ones missing were lost by apprentices working for me many years later.

One of my classmates bought Snap-On tools at the same time - same sized set cost him about 5X as much, and before he had his licence he'd broken over half of them. He called them "Snap offs" too.

***
Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I've had both brands, (as well as a lot of junk), and both have been ok with returns... only problems with snap-on is that unless it's a real common tool, you have to kind of lean on the guy in the truck to get a replacement that day, as they would rather order one for you..

Brings back memories of the time I was trying to break loose a bolt on a rented cement mixer, so the damn thing would tilt.. We put a 3/4" breaker bar on the socket, with a 3' pipe over it and couldn't break it lose... hooked up a chain to my brothers truck and slipped the clutch, thinking that would SURELY break it loose... broke the breaker bar in half..

I took it into Sears... the guy exchanged it no problem, THEN he asked how the hell we broke one.. lol

Mac

mac davis

you need the 215 mph electric one from Sears, bro.. comes with a vac setup, too.. *g* Mac

mac davis

US?? no way, bro... We all know that you're perfectly capable of doing that all by yourself.. Mac

mac davis

If Redneck pops in now, it'll be because he thought Ken said "strap-on"..

Mac

mac davis

Ken... I know that most of us think this but don't get around to actually saying it...

Thank you for your service...

I hope your retirement is happy, healthy and LONG..

Mac

mac davis

Roy.. Just a quick note from my experience reading and writing about shop vac's and dust collectors... only say they "suck" if they work good.... *g*

Mac

mac davis