2001 Trans Am Ram Air: HOW FAST?

Putting aside all the egos and non-stock mods, I have a basic question:

How fast can a stock 2001 Trans Am, Ram Air 325 HP Car really do?

Thanks for the input. Edd

Reply to
Edd Dicker

On a good track with a good driver I've seen some car magazine road tests get a 12.9 @ 108-110 mph in the 1/4. A more average Joe, with some practice, should be able to get a sub 13.5.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

0-60 times are barely above 5 seconds, usually around 5.1 or 5.2. Braking is not impressive; stock brakes suck, IMO. I have the 6-speed manual, and have been told that the automatic is actually quite good, and offers good launches and is better than a manual unless you really practice and know what you are doing.
Reply to
Joe Granto

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:03:31 -0500, Joe Granto puked:

I have to agree with you on the brakes. I have a SS Camaro and the brakes are the weakest link. Before doing ANY performance mods, you'd be nuts not to upgrade the brakes. What was GM thinking?

lab~rat >:-)

lab~rat,

You think your Camaro brakes are bad. You should sample brakes on a Fox Mustang. Even my Cobra with 4-wheel discs (the only Fox Mustang that came with rear discs) are horrible.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

I have a pretty much stock 2000 LS1 5.7 T/A convertible. 6 speed manual. Since it isn't a WS6, I put a fast-toys ram air kit in it and a K&N intake. Still running the stock chip, stock exaust and stock everthing else on the motor and drive train. Installed lower control arms, sub frame connectors and strut tower brace. That really stiffened it up and made it handle a -lot- better. I have not modifyed the chip, stock MAF, etc. K&N intake. It's pretty much box stock.

Out side of Dumas Texas (real flat-low altitude) I have had it up to a GPS corrected 145 mph and it was still climbing fairly well. I'm pretty sure if some one had the guts and could afford the speeding ticket, it would of gone

150-155mph. At 5,200' above sea level where I live, I can get13.4 in the quarter at 108mph. 0-60 in 5.1 seconds and it blows the doors off a Rousch supercharged Mustang dragging stop lights (waxed him 3 out of 3, but his exaust was MUCH louder than mine-he attracted cops-4.6 liters just ain't enough). I don't drag race all that much , but I'm pretty sure you'd have to go a long ways to find any kind of a 4.6 liter Mustang that would touch it.

I keep thinking some day I'd like to put a procharger on it, but there is no one around here I would trust to do it. It's a lot of fun and pretty quick stock Certainly the most "bang for the buck". I have 42,000 mile on it. It doesn't come out of the garage unless the top is down so inside and out it is pristine.

It seems like I read years ago in a top 15 sports car shoot out that a 200X WS6 TA would top out at 163mph. That's under ideal track conditions. I have a friend who has a 1999 WS6 that he says he's gone 155mph in. He's been a hot rodder since we were 16. That was 45 years and many hot cars ago. He's never had reason to lie about any of the many fast cars he's owned.

There are web sites that F-Body LSX owners post thier time slips on. There are lots of LS1's with just a little tweaking turn the quarter in the sub

13's. I think a 5 second 0-60 is pretty much what they do.

Reply to
Badda Bing Badda Boom