power windows do not work

just bought a 1991 firebird today and the power windows do not work. the passenger window will go down about an inch and stops. all fuses ok. this car has been sitting outside for 2 years without the windows being put up or down. any help is appreciated it?s 90 degrees and the ac does not work.

Reply to
jethro

First test the window motors installed. They use a moving ground system. power on one side ground on the other is raise. Reverse them and you get lower.

If the motors operate chech that the switches are operating properly. If they are, remove the clips holding the wiring flex shields in place and check for broken wires between the main body and the doors, in the doors and in the kick paniels.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Charles, are you sure about that? All the GM power window motors I've worked on grounded through the body and you just powered either terminal to move the window up or down.

The JAP $hit I've worked on works like you said. You touch the ground and positive on the two terminals or reverse to move the window the other way.

When I touched the two terminals on a GM power window motor I turned the battery charger into a welder! :-)

Reply to
Dennis Smith

first gen S-10's, 85 to 2000 Astro Vans, and 93 to 2002 F-cars. The 93 to 2002 F-cars use the same window motor that a 85 to 2000 Astro van does. These motors have ground wires, that go from the master (drivers switch) to the passengers switch. 90% of the time when they have a issue of being IN-OP, it is a wire problem. The wires break, or the insulation peals back, or just splits.

I can't recall if the 82 to 92 F-cars use a ground wire or ground to the body. A Factory Service Manuial will tell that. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Sounds like the window action (mechanical) is "stove-up" from sitting. The electrical schematic I have for my '88 model shows the switch connects one motor wire to power and the other to ground alternately to reverse it. Since the passenger window moves some I would rule out electrical problem atleast for that side. Freeing up the window in its track and lubing the action of the register that moves the window should fix that side and may give a tip about the other side. It may be just too stiff for the motor to move. I recommend Permatex "chain lube" for pivot points. Then get ambitious and fix that A/C! p.s. Charles, what do you use to lube the track that the glass slides in?

Reply to
Andy Warren

Andy he could still have a wiring problem. Especially if the circuit braker is triping (that what the large metal fuses are).

If something in a door is binding I start with WD-40 or PB-Blaster. Once broken free, I use spray or brush on white lithium grease. The brush on stuff is perdy thick. The spray on stuff is great for getting in to the nooks and crannys, as it is thinner. I also have white lithium grease in about a medium weight. Labeled as "Assembly Lube" that fills the weight gap. All great stuff to keep around the shop or home garage.

Charles I use white lithium grease on my door hindges in my home & my cabinate hinges when they start creeking.

Reply to
Charles Bendig

AC Delco power window motors suck! I'm on my 3rd drivers side, although the passenger side IS original...less use! Anyone ever check out the ebay auctions for window motors? I've noticed a seller claiming he sells "new" motors for fbody's as low as $13.99? Too good to be true?

94 V6 Chick

Considering 85 to 2000 Astro window motors are the same exact part. I put 330,000 miles on a 87 Astro with the orginal window motors. I Drive with the windows down (A/C is for kids and old folks), even in the winter I crack my windows.

If your on your thrid set of motors I would look for the cause of the failure. These motors don't burn out very often. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 06:21:50 GMT, Charles Bendig puked:

I've replaced both of mine on my '00.

lab~rat

If the later model motors burn out very often, knowing that the motor is the same on Astrovans from 1985 to 2000 That is what I would replace with. Very Few Astro's need window motors, mostly the wires are the cause. Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Charles, I've noticed something about the power windows on my cars. Some windows tend to tilt slightly forward or backward when first moving. I'm thinking the track adjustment causes or relieves the power requirements for the window movement. 4th gen camaros are notorious for window motor replacement. As you know, these windows are among the biggest in the industry. I think an Astro van's window is considerably smaller front to back and the potential for bindingl is less and not as severe when it happens. I know that you're the man when it comes to auto repair but this is my thought on *one* reason that the astro van has fewer problems using the same motor.

Regards

Reply to
Messenger

Actually the OES motors are considered much better than the Chinese replacements. If you're searching ebay, you may notice that you can buy these cheap motors under $20 and there are also $40 replacements. The $40 motors are original equipment supplier units. One vendor explains that his Chinese motors are intended as a quick fix but sells the OES versions with a guarantee.

Regards

Reply to
Messenger