'05 Explorer - Change Oil Indicator

How do I clear, PERMANENTLY, the indicator to change engine oil? I have gotten an oil change and the indicator shows every time I start the vehicle. I have to press the reset button every time.

Reply to
Mr. CLean

From ExplorerForum.com:

you have to reset it after every oil change. The dealer should do it for you if they did the oil change. Its very simple. I'm not positive if this is the correct sequence without looking at the buttons but its something like this: press the display button until you get to system check then hold down the reset button. when it gets to engine oil life hold down the reset button again.

Reply to
Mr. CLean

The procedure varies from year to year. The reset procedure is in the owners manual.

Reply to
Steve Barker

READ your owners manual. It amazes me how many people buy new vehicles and NEVER look in their owners manual. Then they call the stealership when they cant figure out how an option works. Not to mention your owners manual is the prime source for information such as; towing capacities, oil viscosity req., fuse locations, oil capacity, coolant capacity, fuel capacity, and HOW TO WORK THE RADIO! The radio is the item you are looking for, since that is bussed in with the PCM and Instrument Cluster.

My grandparents picked up an 06 Explorer last Aug. I told them to read through the owners manual just to get an idea of how the vehicle is supposed to work. My secondary thought was "if they dont I will hear from them every couple of weeks on a new feature." But they read it, and I havent heard a word out of them about any features.

Before the Explorer, their newest vehicle was a 99 F-250, and a 92 Aerostar.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech

Any proper dealer should have included one. Or ordered one in if it were missing when traded in.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I suspect that the FORD TECH has in fact read the manual of the jack he uses. I've read mine. And BTW, it's an AMERICAN made jack with readily available parts to keep it in proper order.

Reply to
Steve Barker

In article , Mr. CLean wrote: :How do I clear, PERMANENTLY, the indicator to change engine oil? :I have gotten an oil change and the indicator shows every time :I start the vehicle. I have to press the reset button every time.

I'll help...seems like a reasonable question to me.

On my '05 Explorer I hit the Setup button until the Message Center says "Press Reset at Oil Change". Then I press the Reset button. THis will only reset things until it's time for another oil change, not permanently.

Hope this helps!

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Hey, Bob... since you're in the mood, how do I set up the RDS in my radio and how do I get the functions to work... this is a 02 SuperCrew. Y'see, it's a lot of work to look in my owners manual and I can probably depend on someone else to do my work for me.... CSI is on and I don't want to miss it....

If I didn't have an owners manual, it would be far too much like work for me to ask "where can I find a manual" when I can simply ask someone to search through the index and find the section for me....

P.T. Barnum said that someone like you was born every minute....

Points on your side.. you were a nice guy even after you found out that Mr. Clean was an absolute lazy j*rk-off.... hopefully you will never meet him in a situation where you have to exchange money.

Reply to
Jim Warman

If I didn't have an owners manual, it would be far too much like work for me to ask "where can I find a manual" when I can simply ask someone to search through the index and find the section for me....

P.T. Barnum said that someone like you was born every minute....

Points on your side.. you were a nice guy even after you found out that Mr. Clean was an absolute lazy j*rk-off.... hopefully you will never meet him in a situation where you have to exchange money.

Reply to
oklaman

They tell me I'm a heartless bastard, at times.... so I don't think I have any blood pressure...

FWIW, I have little use for those that have the information at their fingertips but prefer to try and get someone else to do the "work" for them... It's called "thinking for ones-self" and, in life, it is assumed that we can all do that...

Part of my day job is "baby-sitter"... While I am often called upon to discuss diagnostic strategies with my experienced techs, I am more often called upon for basic instruction from my apprentices. After ten hours of asking if they have RTFMed or checked OASIS over and over, you tend to lose some of your humour....

I don't mind helping with inexperience, I love the opportunity to share knowledge.... I abhor sloth.

The owners manual has been described as the worlds most expensive unread book... a nearly inadequate description since the hundreds of dollars worth of features that the owner purchase go unused (and even unknown) for lack of effort spent in simply looking in the book.

Man, I'm hungry... can someone come over and make me a sandwich????

Reply to
Jim Warman

Sure, but I'll take a heartless bastard who knows his stuff over a polite idiot any day. ;-))

-Paul

Reply to
Paul G.

I'm with you, Mr. Warman, but I have to say that automobile manuals are in the minority when it comes to finding out how to fix or repair a problem. I always keep my owner's manual, and I also order the shop manuals when I buy a new car. The shop manuals were always interesting to me, not because I wanted to do most of the repairs myself, but because they contained a wealth of information on how the elements of the car worked.

Unfortunately, shop manuals have been changing. They have been moving away from "how it works and how to fix it" to "how to replace it".

That said, most other owners manuals for appliances and the like usually start with two pages of legal "safety" warnings which boggle one's mind with their stupidity. You know the kind of thing.

And, most "help" documents for software and the like is almost unusable because the unique terminology of a given bit of software usually is nothing like what an Actual Human would come up with, so their search engines rarely find useful information!

Given that, I've found that it is MUCH more efficient and to the point to find a news group which has a large group of helpful experts who can point out how to solve my problem. Sometimes they tell me where to find it in the "help" search engine. Sometimes they just tell me how to accomplish the fix/task/whatever.

But, we both know there is a big difference between someone who knows how to give enough information and ask a polite question, and someone who is just lazy.

There, that's my lecture for today!

Alan

==

It's not that I think stupidity should be punishable by death. I just think we should take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem take care of itself.

Alan Moorman