1996 4X4: Removing the Front Hub Assembly

I have a bad left front hub assembly which I need to replace. My first attempt at removing the hub assembly was not successful because I couldn't remove it from the steering knuckle. Evidently rust can make it difficult to separate the assembly from the knuckle. I did use plenty of penetrating oil and hit the back-side of the assembly with a hammer to try to get it to rotate with respect to the knuckle (thinking that apply force in the shear direction would be the best approach). I also thought of putting the bolts which hold the assembly to the knuckle back in (but not all of the way) and hitting them with a hammer, but decided to try asking around before resorting to that. I'm concerned that applying heat could damage the bearing, so that probably wouldn't be a good approach. Does anybody know how a professional mechanic would approach this problem? Is a tool made which might make this a bit easier?

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Chris

If the bearing isn't already damaged or worn, why do you need to change the hub (just being nosey)? IIRC, the hub and bearing on these are serviced as a unit.

Jim Warman

Jim,

Thank you for responding ...

The hub assembly bearing is bad. It has been making a "roaring sound" that has been increasing in intensity. It almost goes away when I make a left turn, and gets more intense when making a right turn (because the load on the left wheel increases). I'm reasonably certain my diagnosis is correct.

I tried putting the bolts back in and tapping them to break loose the hub assembly. I sequentially tapped them, without really having to hit them very hard. The hub assembly came free in short order.

However, I now have an additional problem. When removing the speed sensor, out copper wire that was uncoiling. After removing the retaining bolt, the sensor didn't want to come out easily. I tried pulling it out with just my hands and it just wouldn't come free. So, I had to use a pair of pliers. Is this coil part of the speed sensor? My concern is that the coil was supposed to stay inside the assembly.

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Ayup.... some of this stuff can be a real booger after mother nature plays with it for a while.

I assume that the copper coil you are talking about is very, very fine wire that appears to have no insulation? If so it appears that the top of the sensor has come off and the out body of it is still in the hub. These sensors aren't all that scarey for price and, if you are buying the replacement from Ford, should come with the hub assembly.

Jim Warman

Chris, If your are sure that the bearing is shot then there is no reason that you can't use heat. I've change this part before and didn't have a problem installing it. also when you buy the new assembly it will come with a new abs sensor cable that you will have to route up into the inner fender and plug in. don't worry about pulling the sensor out at the bearing assembly itself, and also check your front differential it may be low on oil. Good luck and keep us posted. Rich

penetrating

Reply to
Rich P