1998 Explorer wont start. Won't even turn over.

I went to a meeting this morning at 10am. My truck started fine, drove perfect...even told me I needed to get more fuel. I come out of my meeting an hour later and it won't start. Won't even turn over. Tried jumping it, no dice. I came home to read about the PATS and it mentioned if the THEFT light flashes, you got a bad key/bad ignition ring connection. So naturally, I go back to my truck, which is sitting at a pizza place, and looked for symptoms of PATS malfunction. Nothing, nothing is/was wrong with my truck.

What do I do? It seems so easy to fix, but nothing is telling me where to begin!

Regards,

Sean

Reply to
ragnus

Big Shoe

Hit the starter with a hammer a few times, need to get under the truck, if it starts replace the starter. Sounds like bad brushes in the starter.

R> Since jumping it didn't work, I would start with the battery cable.

Reply to
Ron B

Do other thigs work? Lights, radio, etc. This will tell you if it is isolated to the starting circuits, starter, solenoid, ignition switch.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Well, I had it towed to an auto shop. Once I got it off the truck, I started it right up. I felt like a complete tool in front of the mechanic insisting that "you needed gas." The stupid prick didn't listen to the "it wouldn't even crank" part of my disposition.

Anyway, all is well now and has started up fine ever since. I'm thinking the starter might cause me issues in the near future as Ron stated.

Thanks for the insight fellas.

Sean

Reply to
ragnus