92 explorer stolen, now wont start

I just got my explorer back last night, it was relatively undamaged, just some minor stuff, but it wont start, the steering column appears to be intact, isnt loose at all, I can put a key in the ignition, when I turn the key the battery and check engine light come on, but it will not even attempt to turn over. I dont think 92s had the SecuriLock feature, is there some other type of kill switch? Any ideas or suggestions before I take it to the mechanics?? Im relatively handy and have friends that will help me do whatever needs to be done, but I dont know where to start.

Reply to
WendyLady

When you say it does not turn over, I am assuming the engine does crank. Check the basics. First when you turn the key to on, check if you can hear the fuel pump come on. If not, check the cutoff switch ( not sure where it is on a 92, could be in the back or the front). If you hear the pump come on, check if your spark plugs are getting spark. Also see if the computer module was stolen ( sorry, not sure where that is on a 92 either).

Reply to
Mikepier

The fuel cutoff in 92 is under the floor carpet on the front passenger side.

Reply to
Charlie Bress

actually the engine doesnt crank at all. When I turn the key there is a hum, as if the fuel pump is coming on, but it doesnt crank or make any attempt at starting/turning over, its like there is battery power and nothing else, or a starter issue.

Reply to
WendyLady

I pulled the carpet up on that side and didnt find anything. I also popped the side kick panel off and didnt see anything there either.

Reply to
WendyLady

Well you have a different problem. It could be the starter solenoid, which I believe is on the fender apron. If you know how to jump the solenoid, you can see if the truck starts. Or it could be a faulty neutral safety switch. try starting the truck in neutral.

Reply to
Mikepier

Try jumping the solenoid as someone else suggested.

Reply to
Zilla

WE were able to jump the solenoid without a problem, what we are now thinking is that the transmission is seized. Whenever we do start the truck, even though the gear shift says its in park, its as if the truck wants to go forward, and since you cant start a vehical in any other gear other than park or neutral that would make since as to why we cant get it started. :-(

Reply to
WendyLady

Reply to
Big Shoe