94 explorer brakes overheating

Hi there

The front brakes on my 94 Explorer keep overheating. When I first discovered the problem, they were smoking so badly on the driver's side that the guy at the parts place I pulled in to came out wityh a fire extiguisher I thought I'd lost the bearings, but they were fine. I replaced the pads calipers AND brake lines... It is better now, but still heats up quite a bit. If it is a hot day it is even worse.... Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Sinjian

I think there is also a residual pressure valve in the master cylinder. Perhaps it's not releasing as it should and effectively keeping your brakes applied. It's also remotely possible your brake booster got out of adjustment and is always lightly applying the brakes.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

Is there a remedy for the problems you suggested? My Taurus sometime exhibits similar symptoms.

Reply to
Bill

Remedy for the Master Cylinder issue is to just go buy a rebuilt one and replace it. For the booster adjustment, basically the rod from the brake pedal into the booster should have a tiny amount of "slack" when the brakes aren't applied. It would be a long shot if that was the problem but it's possible. It's pretty hard for them to get out of adjustment unless someone has monkeyed with it.