97 Explorer Timing Chain and Tensioners problems

Hi I have a 97 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC that has like a diesel sound engine, so I took it to the shop and the said that I have to replace
the Timing belt, tensioners and tensioners guide and this will solve the problem. If anyone knows about this problem please let me know if they are right and about how much this will cost me?
Diesel sound? do you mean pinging when you accelerate? If so...Timing could be the issue. Other than that....cheap gas or low octane gas will cause the same sound. Try running 93 in it and see what happens before paying for a new chain and guides.
There were extended warranties on this engine w.r.t. timing chain noise, etc., depending on your mileage. Check with a Ford dealer to see if you can get the issue addressed for free.
--
Allan Williams