check engine light

Hi: I have a 1997 ford explorer v6. The check engine light keep coming on. I took it to autozone, they tested it and it says air flow restriction egr system. I replaced egr valve and solinoid for egr valve.After it gets cleared out of system comes back on after five or so miles. What else can it be? Air flow restriction is what comes up on the tester? Can anyone help... thanks

Reply to
Judester4

You might want to try cleaning/replacing the MAF (Mass Airflow Sensor). Many check engine lights in Exploreres are a caused by a dirty or faulty MAF sensor because it can not detect how much air is passing through the intake system. It's a cheap part and it's located right on the intake hose.

Reply to
Wraith

You should post the code that is stored in the computer. That will narrow things down a bit. A quick test you can do to see if the EGR passage is restricted is apply vacuum to the EGR valve when the engine is idling. If the engine stalls, then the EGR passage ways should be clear and you can start looking elsewhere for the problem. You can use the vacuum line that leads to the EGR vacuum switch to check the valve.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

He slowly crept out further on the limb and uttered.......... I'll bet a sixpack that the code is a P0401..... inching out a bit further he added that the cure will likely be a DPFE. The two assemblies already replaced

*rarely* fail on these systems (with AutoZone being the benefactor).

I would no more trust the doofus behind the parts counter to diagnose my car than I would the local butcher to remove my appendix.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Hey, Jim, good to see you got your crystal ball working again..

Hey, while you're at it, can you tell me when I'm going to get my next flat tire :p

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Been getting so much rain up here (figures.... I'm trying to do a bunch of outside stuff including 18 concrete pilings...).

I can't tell you when you'll get your next flat but I can tell you the most likely circumstance. It'll be cold and dark... most likely raining..... probably a lonely dirt (read muddy), nowhere near a cell phone tower...... the batteries in your flashlight will die just before you accidentally kick the hubcap into the ditch....... you will suddenly realize that it's been a real long time since you checked the pressure in your spare...... oh, it stands to reason that you will be on your way to a very important appointment/meeting/social function....... there is a chance that your mother-in-law will be with you and she will be "unanimously" impressed with the gong show - at least that's the way it would go for me 8^)

Reply to
Jim Warman

Sounds about right, but you forgot ONE important detail.

Just as you grab the lug wrench, you visualize the puzzle-lug key setting on your toolbox at home where you placed it the last time you cleaned the car out intending to zip tie it in the jack compartment so you wouldn't misplace it, but you couldn't find any zip ties :)

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

I had the same problem. I found it to be dirty Fuel, it was running lean in both banks. Just add a bottle of octain boost the next time you fill up and be sure to get a premium fuel.

David

Reply to
telfeetau

Or, you could just toss a $10 out the window each time you fill up, and continue to use regular fuel like the manufacturer calls for.

Octane neither cleans up fuel, nor makes the vehicle run better. Putting "premium" fuel in a car that does not need it is simply throwing money away.

BUT if it makes you feel better... it's your money !

As for me, I find gasoline to be expensive enough, without trying to find ways to increase the cost ! YMMV

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

If the problem is dirty fuel, the right solution would seem to be a replacement fuel filter, and possibly a bottle of injector cleaner. What good would increasing the octane do? Premium? Why?

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

I see that Shell is promoting a new additive package "V" Power, but that it is only in the premium fuel. I doubt it is good enough to justify an extra $0.20 per gallon (compared to regular gas and a bottle of Techron occasionally). See

It looks suspiciously like the old Texaco gasolinepromotion...but I guess that makes sense since most (all?)Texaco stations in the US are still really Shell stations indrag.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White