Evap canister solenoid failing

I have a 94 Explorer and for the second time in 4 months, the solenoid that controls engine vacuum to the evaporative control system canister has failed, causing the ECM fuse to blow, which kills the engine. The part number of the solenoid is E4ZF-9C915-AA.

One side of the solenoid's valve goes to a connection on top of the canister, next to the hose that goes back to the gas tank. The other side has a hose that goes to the throttle body on the upper intake manifold.

Does anyone have any ideas why this part would fail? It can't be doing that much that it would fail (probably a short circuit) and cause the ECM fuse to blow.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

It looks like it's more than just the soleniod - I replaced it and blew the fuse again. I disconnected it, replaced the fuse, and the engine ran ok. I jiggled the wiring harness for the solenoid (it goes down the back of the engine towards the transmission) and it blew the fuse again. Looks like a short in the wiring somewhere. It's off to the repair shop to be looked at.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias