Interior lights acting strangely on a 02 Explorer Eddie Bauer...

Hi,

When I get into my 02 Explorer all the interior dome lights remain off (door open or closed - cannot turn them on with ANY switch inside the vehicle - front, middle or back). After I drive for a while, if I turn off the car (key to OFF) the interior lights come on as they should... switches work normally.

I also noticed that the garage door opener switch (which did work) now does not activate my door opener...

Has anyone else experienced this?

Is this a preference setting that I missed - or is it a fault?

Thanks,

Kevin O'

Reply to
BostonKevinO

Every once and awhile our '02 EB interior lights will not turn on when you open a door, but never had any problems with the built in homelink garage door opener. wth

Reply to
wth

This is a dumb question, and this doesn't quite fit the behavior you're talking about, but do you have the dash-light intensity control turned all the way down? That shuts off the interior lights, but they also wouldn't come on by turning off the engine...

Do you have an Eddie Bauer or Limited? That's the HomeLink system. I have two openers programmed into mine, and they've always worked (but with shorter range than the factory door openers). Other than that, I'd begin looking for blown fuses.

If it's not a HomeLink, your factory opener may have shifted inside.

Reply to
JonnyCab®

Hi,

Yes, it'a an Eddie Bauer, and it's the Homelink system - seems to work on and off - today it worked, yesterday it did not - distance never more then twenty-five feet to the garage door opener...

I'm tking it in for 24,000 mile service (oil, tire rotation, etc...) next week -will have dealer look into it...

Thanks,

Kevin O'

Reply to
BostonKevinO

Possibly a relay problem.... the easiest way to be absolutely sure would be with a scan tool capable of active commands and PID monitoring. Unfortunately, this means finding a decent tech working at a decent dealership - something the American model is apparently lacking (sorry folks... I just repeat what I hear...).

One way you might have a chance is to search out a Blue Oval dealer..... the Blue Oval is awarded to dealerships that accel at customer service....

Oh, yeah..... when you go there for service, you might also go there for your next purchase. Premium service deserves premium proce.

Jim Warman