Hidden Hitch Question?

Has anyone had any experience with the hitches for 2000 AWD Explorer V8 with

16 inch tires?

I am looking at the Hidden-Hitch model #70647 round tube Class III-IV.

In the installation instructions it says a minor modification needs to be made. The mod is to bend the forward spare tire catcher 1/2 inch forwards towards the front of the vehicle. This is in order to be able to keep the 16 inch spare tire in place under the vehicle.

My question could it be pushed forward while the hitch is bolted on the frame or does it mean absolutely it needs to be bent permanently? If bent for good what method is supposed to be used?

Here is the link;

you want to look at the installation instructions a link is there to click on. It is there it mentions the modification that needs to be made. I am wanting to have it be having the sleek contour that this hitch would give me. Where part of it is recessed and curved to fit the look of the rear of the Explorer.

Can someone help me understand the obvious here? thanks for reading .

Reply to
Fathergoose

I have the same hitch installed on my 98 Explorer Sport. It does require bending the forward part of the spare tire carrier to get the spare tire back under the vehicle. I used a sledge hammer.

If you want to look at the installation instructions a link is there to > click on. It is there it mentions the modification that needs to be made.>

Reply to
Xx

Thank you for the answer to my dilemma! Since I posted some have said that simply after lowering the spare and installing the hitch and raising the spare back pushing on it forward will do the trick also...what do you say? Would that leave the spare in an unusual position that would not be good to leave that way?

> If you want to look at the installation instructions a link is there to >> click on. It is there it mentions the modification that needs to be made.>>

Reply to
Fathergoose

I would try and get the spare tire back in the original position as it was before the installation of the hitch. That way the tire won't rock and apply an additional downward force to the cable holding the spare up. Secondly, the spare looks funny if you don't put it up between the frame rails.

>> If you want to look at the installation instructions a link is there to >>> click on. It is there it mentions the modification that needs to be >>> made.

Reply to
Xx

Thank you very much for your help in understanding the situation. I went out on the driveway with my creeper and looked at it a bit. I have been hobbled since my recent surgery and recovery so unable to go out there and look under the vehicle .

SO, I noticed that there is a piece of sort of wide metal curved with ribs to sort of cradle the spare on the front and back of where the spare will be once cranked all the way up into the bottom of the explorer.

I assume this is the piece that needs "love tapped" forward about 1/2 inch per installation instructions. Correct? Did you hit it on the bottom of the curved ribbed metal piece or sort of up from the bottom some? I was totally mistaken in my mind of what the instructions were saying until you told me along with getting out there under my explorer the driveway. I was having a local shop, Ziebart" do the install so I wanted to understand the procedure.....because They have got the wrong one in twice. The first time the mfg. fault the second the shop fault. They had ordered the hitch that said it wouldn't work with the 16 inch spare tire unless you didn't want to put the spare back up after installation of the hitch....it was drawtite #75083........

anyway can you remember the question I asked since I went on my tangent here....?....

thanks again to you Xx and or anyone else who wants to jump in here.