OT - Jim Warman - 2005 Escape automatic locks

Jim,

Sorry for the off-topic post, but I have a question that my dealer can't answer (surprised?):

How do I know if my new 2005 Escape Limited has automatic locks? The manual refers to them ("if equipped," and a loaded Limited *should* have them), but the automatic lock/unlock/relock enable/disable sequence doesn't work:

  • Close all doors and shut everything off
  • Key to LOCK
  • Key to RUN
  • UNLOCK three times
  • Key to LOCK
  • UNLOCK three times
  • Key to RUN
(horn chirps)
  • UNLOCK once, LOCK twice

Here's where it does nothing. I *should* hear two horn chirps (disabled) or two horn chirps and a longer honk (enabled).

The Power Lock disable function DOES work (repeat the last step with just two LOCKs). There's some other function that also returns dual chirps (repeat the last step with one UNLOCK and *three* LOCKs)---do you know what that one is?

Shouldn't I have automatic locks if I have the RAP module?

Thanks!

Reply to
JonnyCab®

I haven't taken the Escape new model training but, looking at the WSM, it

*appears* that anything with power locks and RKE will have full feature locks. I'm unclear as to what function isn't working for you.....

The car should have a feature called "Smart Unlock"... when the key is in the ignition and the drivers door is ajar, the drivers door will not lock when commanded by a door switch (it will unlock instead). Additionally, all doors should lock (I don't get to work on many Escapes) once the vehicle starts moving.

WSM is sketchy at best on customer programmable features since we would normally use the WDS or NGS+ to adjust any programming.

If it were me and I was in a facetious mood, I'd dump it in my salesweasels (oops, I meant saleperson) lap saying "you sold it to me... how does it work?". 8^)

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

That's what I thought.

Automatic locking when the car starts moving, or when it's put into DRIVE.

It does---that works.

*This* is what doesn't work. And the programming sequence that was in one issue of the owner's manual doesn't give the beeps that it's supposed to.

Would you know the ignition key and lock/unlock button sequences to get this working?

I can program some of the other features, but not the automatic locks.

salesweasels

LOL!!! I think some of them are sketchy on which *models* they sell each year, let alone any details!

Reply to
JonnyCab®

Workshop manual doesn't offer up anything on customer programming (not a surprised, it never did for other years, either).

I assume that we agree that when they say "unlock 3 times" that the unlock button on the drivers door is being pressed? (A guess at my end and I'll see if I can corner an owners manual or a weasel tomorrow).

For our own part, Ford assumes that we would just go in with the WDS and make our changes directly in the affected module.... There should be a choice in the module programming section called "Programmable Parameters" where the change should be able to be made.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

Figures...

Yes. I *do* get the chirp that says that programming is now available, and I can toggle whatever feature is programmed by these two sequences:

  • UNLOCK button once, then the LOCK button three times
  • LOCK button two times

Both sequences alternate between a double chirp or a double chirp and a longer honk, obviously toggling *some* feature. The second sequence is supposed to be for Power Lock Disable (after arming the alarm), which does seem to work.

With either sequence, I *do* get the confirmation chirp when I turn the key to the LOCK position.

Also, the lights don't blink twice when I disarm the system by using RKE. The manual says they should.

And weasel is *so* politically incorrect. LOL

I agree. And dozens of searches on the net haven't really given me anything, either.

Hey, as always, you're the best. Thanks.

Reply to
JonnyCab®

I looked at the 2005 Ordering guide

can't see any mention of automatic door locks. However,this doesn't mean they aren't offered. The manual for the 2005 Escape is available at

I think maybe you have the procedure wrong. Here is what it says on activating the automatic door locks:

Deactivating/activating the autolock feature

The autolock feature can be activated or deactivated using the following procedure:

Before starting, make sure that the ignition is in the 1 (LOCK) position and all vehicle doors are closed. You must complete Steps 1?7 within 30 seconds or the procedure will have to be repeated.

  1. Turn the ignition to the 3 (RUN) position.
  2. Press the power door unlock control three times.
  3. Turn the ignition from the 3 (RUN) position to the 1 (LOCK) position.
  4. Press the power door unlock control three times.
  5. Turn the ignition from the 1 (LOCK) position to the 3 (RUN) position.
  6. Ensure that the vehicle?s horn chirps. This chirp indicates that the feature is in an enable/disable mode and ready to accept program changes.
  7. Press the power door unlock control one time, then the lock control two times, in order to toggle the autolock feature.
  8. Ensure that the horn chirps one time; there should only be one horn chirp, indicating that the autolock feature has been deactivated. If one chirp is heard, followed by a longer sound of the horn, the autolock feature has been reactivated.
  9. Turn the ignition to the 1 (LOCK) position in order to exit the enable/disable mode.
  10. Ensure the horn chirps one time to indicate that the programming mode has been exited.

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

Ed,

That's the procedure I tried. It doesn't give any confirmation chirps. Some sites for other Ford trucks just say one hit of UNLOCK and LOCK.

But, one MORE hit of the LOCK button (UNLOCK once, LOCK *three* times) does give the results mentioned in that sequence. But automatic locks still don't work. I must be toggling some other feature.

Thanks for the info. I had found two versions of the 2005 Escape owner's manual on the Ford Fleet site. The first one, from a few months ago, mentions automatic locks. The one there now doesn't. Figures.

But Jim did say that Fords with power locks and remote keyless entry SHOULD also have automatic locks.

Either way, I know I'll get them working.

PS...were you outbid on a 2004-2005 Ford DVD shop manual on eBay last night? That was me. Don't hit me. LOL! Sorry, but that's the third time I've tried to order that DVD, and I really needed one!

Reply to
JonnyCab®

Just to make sure I'm clear..... everything I bring into the shop that has power locks seems to take me captive when it starts to move. One thing I have noticed - my SuperCrew does it even when it is lurching against the park pawl while other models seem to need 5 or so km/h.

Up here in the great white north, we drive manly things (SuperDuties and Excursions for the most part) and I don't see many Escapes 8^).

"
Reply to
Jim Warman

I know. Even *Focuses* have them. I'm going to start a riot if some penny-pincher at Ford removed them from the 2005 Escape. Either way, they will be mine.

I've tried every ignition key and LOCK/UNLOCK sequence I can find, and it doesn't work.

Also, the hazard lights don't flash twice when I unlock the doors with the key fob. They're supposed to.

PS...would disconnecting the battery for half an hour help? I know it resets a lot of systems, like the transmission-learning process...

HEY! I had two Explorers ('99 XLT and '02 EB). That *more* than makes up for my manly-man requirements for the next ten years. LOL

Seriously, my '05 Escape Limited is pretty damned nice, especially with all the Ford factory accessories I've been heaping on it.

Reply to
JonnyCab®