Question on seat lever recall

I posted this question a while ago but never got a definitive answer, so here it goes again. Hope someone can help. Does anyone know what the dealer does for this recall? As far as the letter says, they will install a washer and a bolt. Is this something I can do myself instead of bringing it to the dealer?

Reply to
SizzleMP

My '98 Ex goes into the dealer for this fix on friday morning. Things may be different here in the UK but the dealer would not supply the parts for me to fit as this is a SAFETY related recall. It's dealer fit only and the recall work has to be recorded in the vehicle's service log. They say the work will take less than an hour. Inerestingly, Ford don't seem to care about passenger safety as they are only 'fixing' the driver's seat. Both seats appear to be of identical construction (apart from being 'handed') so I presume that my RHD driver's seat would be your LHD passenger seat.

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

I thought of that also. Why didn't they include the passengers seat also.Unless they are going to do it and they just failed to mention it in the letter.

Reply to
SizzleMP

If the drivers seat reclines the driver will loose control of the vehicle. Therefore it's a safety recall. If the passenger seat reclines someone in the

2hd row gets sore knees. No safety recall!
Reply to
JaWise

Just wait for the lawsuit when some little rich kid gets squashed by a collapsing passenger seat when Ford already know about the 'fault' but failed to correct it...

Anyway, I got my seat 'fixed' today. The Ex was at the dealers for about 1

1/2 hours. The only downside is that I now know how Homer Simpson felt when the Carnies spoiled his couch groove! Oh for seats with electronic memory!

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

I got my recall done yesterday. When I asked the service guy why the passengers seat is not involved, he told me that it is a different seat with different hardware. I laughed .

Well, at least I also got my cruise control cable changed also.

Reply to
SizzleMP