repair manual

which repair manual is best-Haynes,Chilton?

I won't be doing heavy work, just mostly maintenance (I have extended warranty).

2000 Limited, 44000 miles 5.0 V8
Reply to
stevef

Haynes is way better, IMHO.

Reply to
mike w

Hi, I have a 2000 limited, 68000, 5.0 V8 AWD. Have you ever had trouble getting it to start? Like it turns over with no unusual noise but won't start...then I pump the gas a little and it will start after a couple of tries... I am wondering what could cause this? Bill V.

Reply to
Bill V

Tip: buy a real Ford shop manual on eBay.

I just bought a 2002 factory wiring manual for $26.

Reply to
JonnyCab®

The Ford Truck Light Repair Manual for your model year is the best if you're just going to do routine maintenance (lights & fuses, wires & plugs, oil & filter, some lube, etc.). Otherwise, buy the Ford Factory Service Manual for your year & model.

Haynes, Chilton, and all other aftermarket manuals I've seen ALL STINK. Many sections appear to be cribbed directly from the Ford Factory Service Manuals. Other than those, mostly boilerplate, some sections identical in ALL the manuals they print, and an inappropriate mix of sections (some way too advanced, some ridiculously simple, and many needed sections simply missing).

For example, Chilton's & Haynes both have sections on rebuiling an engine, but not how to remove the radio. Nobody is going to rebuild an engine without a Ford factory manual, but they might try to replace the sound system. Every time I've tried to use a Haynes or Chilton's, I've run into this kind of problem... so I've simply stopped wasting my money on them.

Buy the factory manuals on eBay, they're much better.

Reply to
Robert A. Matern

I don't think they stink, at least not Haynes.

I have the shop manual for my 92 Explorer AND the Haynes manual. The Haynes sometimes is better because it provides photos for us dumb folk. Because it is much smaller than the shop manual, the Haynes manual stays in my truck. I like Haynes a lot. But the shop manual gives you a lot more, at least for the 92. I have not seen the Chilton's.

Regards, Anthony Giorgianni

Email: snipped-for-privacy@att.net Web page:

Anthony Giorgianni