Slight hesitation when going from R to D - Jim W. ?

'98 XLT 4.0L SOHC 4WD A/T with 56K.

I pull out from a parking slowly in reverse and then put the car in drive. There will be a slight hesitation until the engine will pick up. Something like 1.5 seconds. It feels like the engine is not picking up the RPM where it usually do it (relative to the position of the throttle). This will happen even when the engine is hot. I remember having the AC on so I'm not sure if it happens when it's off as well because I have never been able to reproduce the problem. It just happens occasionally.

Any ideas ?

Thanks, Zoti

Reply to
zoti

I was thinking about buying one of those code computers. any recommendation on a particular one ? I want to try and solve this one myself.

Reply to
zoti

Does this sounds reasonable: (found it on the google groups)

Happens all the time. Showed the service manager, yesterday. He said it was the electronic control. Shifting into drive it builds the hydraulic pressure slowly. Pressure is also under electronic program control. You get a soft slow shift. Shifting to reverse it shifts fast. Has to do with wanting to allow it to shift faster to rock the vehicle if stuck. The difference is on purpose. He brought out a new one and we drove it. It acted pretty much the same as mine. The only time the shift into drive was really slow on mine was when it was cold. The new one on the lot did this too. Once it was in drive it was fine after that. It was just the engagement that was slow. First engagement in drive after starting cold could take 2 to 3 seconds. He said that's the way the software in the PCM module is programmed to control the transmission.

Dale

Reply to
zoti

I'm starting to think it is a transmission problem. Another quote from the google groups:

This was the exact same thing my 97 did.reverse out of the driveway then put it in drive and it takes a couple seconds(do you feel a thump when it finally kicks into drive??).Hate to say it but the trans was totally shot.dealer replaced it under warranty.(gotta love extended warrentys)

Reply to
zoti

Personally, I like the WDS though it's a tad slow for my tatses...... but at about $13,000 Canadian, most folks get a bit shy 8^)...... Sorry, I'm not at all familiar with the code readers. Be sure you get one that can read continuous memory codes....

Jim Warman

I can't be sure about the "rocking a stuck vehicle" stuff but yes, line pressure in reverse is higher than in drive and is controlled by the PCM (line pressure in drive and manual low should be the same). The 4R70W in my SuperCrew has a very slight pause going into drive.... not an unreasonable pause I might add. 1.5 seconds is a very long time (I mean this quite seriously) and I would find this kind of delay to be quite significant.

Having said that and rereading your earlier posts, I get the feeling that the target is moving...... First you speak of a throttle response issue and now we're into an engagement issue....

Jim Warman

The mnext time you are in a crcumstance that causes this concern, trying shifying, not into drive, but into manual low instead.... let me know what happens.

Jim Warman