What holds power window in place?

Hello. Can anyone tell me the type of glue used to hold the glass in place in a power window setup?

The drivers-side window on my Expedition fell out of both the metal brackets used to raise and lower the window AND the track the Window rides in. After tearing the door apart I was able to replace the window in the track, and get in back in the two U-groved 2-inch pieces of metal that raise/lower the window, but it is obvious there was some type of adhesive used to hold the glass in place, it looks like without it, the window will shortly fall out again, so I want to use the same stuff to make sure I don't have to go through this again. Thanks for any info. Stan

Reply to
Stan

Sorry I can't help on the kind of glue.... we had one way early this year and decided that anything we could do in the shop would likely be unsatisfactory. Sent the door glass and the channel to the glass shop. There are special solvents involved (and special solvents usually come with special procedures) so it was more economical for is to send the pieces out than to buy all the materials.

HTH

Jim Warman

just had my windshield replaced.

don't know if the same kind of adhesive is used on side windows, but what the glass place used to glue the windshield had to be heated before they could use it.

good luck and Happy New Year.

The drivers-side window on my Expedition fell out of both the metal brackets used to raise and lower the window AND the track the Window rides in. After tearing the door apart I was able to replace the window in the track, and get in back in the two U-groved 2-inch pieces of metal that raise/lower the window, but it is obvious there was some type of adhesive used to hold the glass in place, it looks like without it, the window will shortly fall out again, so I want to use the same stuff to make sure I don't have to go through this again. Thanks for any info. Stan

Reply to
stevef

Many moons ago I owned a Bricklin, and one of the things (among many ) that they were notorious for is the glass separating from the channel.

Being that parts were not easy to come by, we were always looking for "fixes".

We wound up taking a grinder, and cleaning the channel off nicely, and then gently roughing up the glass with some sandpaper and a vibrating sander. Then we would clean it all with mineral spirits, and use PC-7 epoxy to re-attach. We would use some c-clamps with wood blocks between the glass to apply a *very light* pressure (just to keep it from moving) and let it set overnight.

I never had any more problems with it, and neither had any friends that had done the same fix.

YMMV!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum