87 Tbird -- Need help with power window

Hi all ! I've got a problem maybe someone here might be able to help me with.

The passenger side power in my '87 Tbird has quit working. The motor works, the switch is good. However, when I try (but not now) to put the window down, the front will move but the back doesn't. Someone said it may have either broken off the track or came out of the window track.

I do know a bit about cars, having replaced starters, alternators, distributors, etc. But when it comes to the inner-workings of a car door, I am at a loss. I have done some 'Net searches and found one site with some info, but I need more expert advice. Recently I bought a Chilton's repair manual for

83-92 Tbirds/Cougars, but there was nothing in it about power windows.

Does anyone here have any good advice or ideas? Know of any websites I can download DIY info?

Please leave a message here in the group or contact me via email at:

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Thank a lot guys!

~ ~ ~ Gerri ~ ~ ~

Reply to
GerDani8

If you haven't done a search on Google, go ahead and do it now. I'm not going to do one for you but I will say this: I've had the same problem in the past with my old Chrysler Cordoba and tackled it myself. Now I'm not the most mechanical guy who ever lived: I can do bolt on repairs such as swapping out alternators and that sort of thing but I'd be afraid to do my own brakes.

Anyway, I just sort of jumped in without any information to start. What I found was that once I'd removed the inner door panel, the solution suggested itself to me easily. I think once you have the panel off, you'll see what I mean. Don't be afraid to drill out rivets if need be; you can replace them with nuts and bolts.

You would be well advised to take photos if you have a digital camera so you can refer to them when reassembling... or showing a parts man what you need. Good luck!

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

"GerDani8" wrote

Sounds like the rear mounting pad on the bottom of the glass is screwed. On earlier years the windows were attached to the track with plastic bushings and big rivets. On ours, there are 2 squarish plastic brackets/pads bonded (glued) to the lower edge of the glass. It looks like a short "U" shaped channel, with an extra tab extending down. Molded into the tab is a sideways stud that goes through the track and is held on with a small nut.

better drawing:

My guess is that either the tab has broken off, or the plastic bracket has come unglued from the glass. Either way is a pain, as the brackets are not available separately (that I know of), and no one on the websites I've visited can seem to find an easily-available glue that will hold the bracket to the glass securely. An auto glass shop may be able to help if it's unglued, but if it's broken, it would probably be easier to get another window from a wrecking yard. You'll know for sure what's happened once you get the inner door panel off and have a peek.

If you want the window down right now, get some longish pieces of duct tape, stick them to the outside of the window at the rear, and pull down hard on the tape "straps" while someone blips the window switch a bit at a time. If you can get it down far enough, you should be able to look down into the door from above, and see what's up with the brackets. It should still raise normally, but go slow.

Reply to
MasterBlaster