Emeregncy brake light

The emergency brake light warning on the dash stays on, even thought the emerg. brake is off. A new master cylinder was put in last year. I've thought of either a blown light fuse, or low brake fluid level. Any other ideas before I take it to the mechanic? Thanks loner

Reply to
the loner

Sorry, neglected to say 1989 Honda Civic DX sedan, if it matters loner

Reply to
the loner

You are correct that a low brake fluid level will energize the "brake warning light." Why don't you go under the hood and check the level yourself? The reservoir is near the firewall (= rear of the engine compartment), on the driver's side, near the top. IIRC the reservoir cap is embossed with words like 'Use only DOT 3 or 4 Brake Fluid,' among other things. It has max and min lines marked on it.

Here's more info from a factory service manual for the same year Civic CRX:

"the loner" wrote

Reply to
Elle

Hey Elle, thanks so much--especially where to look. As is probably obvious, I ain't no mechanic !! Thanks for taking the time to answer-if I get stuck, I'll be back! loner

Reply to
the loner

"the loner" wrote in news:RtidncasMNEblxfZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Maybe a stuck switch? (Detects when the Emerg.Brake lever is pulled) If the fuse were blown,the light would NOT come on.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Without people getting stuck, this group is nothing. :-)

Hang in there, and learn something new. It's empowering.

"the loner" wrote

Reply to
Elle

New knowledge--Absolutely---after all these years (remember, it's a *1989* Honda!!), maybe I'll start a new hobby....or even a career!!! Thanks again Elle! loner

Reply to
the loner

Yes, Jim, I did read something about a switch, also about something under the pedal--where should I look to check those things? (BTW, thanks about the fuse) loner

Reply to
the loner

You should lurk and see all the folks (many auto technology newbies, too) posting here driving Honda cars built c.

1989. I own a 91 Civic, 177k miles. I hope to take it to 250k, at least. Can't give up a car that gets 40+ mpg. Plus I'm having too much "fun" maintaining it.

No problem, re the help.

Updates are welcome. Your experience will go in the archives and maybe help someone else.

"the loner" wrote

Reply to
Elle

I think I will check in here...and my 1989 has only 62,000+ miles!!! (i don't leave the house much-long boring medical story). 177 k wheww! But I believe you'll get to 250--a friend with n Accord got there--twice!! Take care loner

the loner

Yours should make it. my 88's on over 220,000 miles, and its barely been driven in the last year (in fact, its not been taxed or insured since december)

Right now, it's in need of a new half axel (wife kept putting off getting a CV joint fixed) but other than that its all good.

flobert

Yup, I've always kept up the maintenance, maybe a couple of big ticket items here & there, and it's been fine. The body & interior--that's another story, even though I got it painted, but that's my own laziness there loner

the loner

"the loner" wrote in news:bvydnffpsNy9gxfZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I suspect the emergency brake switch would be mounted on or about the emergency brake lever. (in the center console?)

got a service manual for your model?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Elle" wrote in news:X7pig.11225$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

The point of it all, really. To perhaps be overly dramatic about it, you're helping the world, in however small a way...

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Hey, TeGGeR (can't do that "r" thing!) thanks! I 'm kind of new at this usenet stuff, but I just might come here to visit, you've all been so nice, I never thought I'd get to talk to so many people about something that I thought was such a small problem! loner

Reply to
the loner

Yes, I do still have the manual, I'm looking at it now, but I haven't noticed any kind of switch on or around the brake lever-yes it's in the center console. I did kind of pound on it, raised it up & down a few times, cause I thought there might be a short somewhere I'll look for the switch tomorrow (too dark now). The manual only mentions low fluid level, but I'll check all the things that have been mentioned. If i find the swith & it is stuck, would it be obvious how to unstick it? Thanks Jim loner

Reply to
the loner

OK, once you've looked at the fluid level;--- low add fluid. see if light goes out. ----OK, unplug the wires on the top of the brake reservoir. IF the light goes out and the fluid is OK, then it is merely the level indicating system. If the light does not go out then it is the switch for the parking brake handle.

Reply to
Stephen H

Reply to
the loner

Hi Stephen, thanks--can you tell me where specifically the switch for the parking brake handle is? And after unplugging the wires,& light goes out & fluid is ok, leave them unplugged or plug back in & just live with the warning light on? Appreciate the info & links loner

Reply to
the loner

Also read that that screen in the master cylinder when you take the cap off might cause the problem..Honda has a improved type. I cant find the info about it . Tegger might help.

Reply to
Andy & Carol