1995 Ford Escort sedan incorrect fuel gauge

I know that the gas tank in my 1995 Escort is 11.9 gallons (45 litres). But when the gas gauge in the dash says it's empty, I fill it right up, yet the gas pump said only 8-8.5 gallons went in. What is the cause of my incorrect fuel gauge, and how do I remedy it?

Thanks!!

Reply to
iamdrumming

  1. MBA's; Your fuel sender costs ford about a dollar ninety eight.
  2. Get a can of gas and drive country roads till it runs out. Note the reading on the gauge.
Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

the only way to fix it is to remove the sending unit and check the float arm for movement. It may be able to be fixed but slightly bending the arm or you may need to replace the entire gauge assembly..... you will have to remove the tank to do this.

Reply to
fireater

If you do drop the tank make sure it is near empty, it will make it much easier, use a floor jack to hold the tank. The sending unit is easy (famous last words) just a hammer and a chisel.

Reply to
Darryl12

Hammer and *brass* drift, just to be safe.

Reply to
Fordfan

UUUhhhmmm, pull the back seat. It should have an accesss panel for the fuel pump, all post 1990 Escorts that I've ever seen do.. Makes the job a 20 minute ordeal.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

Ok, my 1995 Escort is a sedan, and the back seats are the split folding rear seat type. So if I put down the seats, the access panel for the fuel pump/sending unit should be rifght there, under the carpet?

Reply to
iamdrumming