82 linc towncar (no spark from coil)

car ran and stopped over night.im a fairly good mechanic but having troble with this.i ckd power at coil ok no spark .next changed ignition module,and coil. Still no spark. I have power on one side of coil with wire off other side. power is even on both sides,but when i install second wire its like a short there is sparks at coil connecter and a drop in power on power side of coil like a short.for as far as i know there is no pick up coil in distributor,no relay ,or ignition fuse.what is my problem.is it a short?help me. im a gm man.and this ford has got me beat. thanxs

Reply to
jimblob

Your voltage indications are proper, ... and the dist does have a pick-up coil.

test lite at neg side of coil should have indication of blink as engine is cranked

It's not all that different from GM HEI.. just not as integrated.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

That sounds right.

Here's the basic circuit

Here's one of a few tests
These two should give you an idea on checking harness continuity and voltages at the coil and ignition module...

Reply to
Rick

thanks for everyones imput got me through the problem.82 /302 linc us model has no pick up coil vin first dig.#1...has crank sensor timing cover.....canadian vin first #2 indeed has pick up coil in distributor.good to know .i won't everforget.jimblob saying thanks to all!!!!!

Reply to
jimblob