91 Taurus won't start

Hi All, I've got a 1991 Taurus wagon with a 3.0L V6 that doesn't start. When the key is turned to the run or starting positions I don't hear any sounds or lights on the dash(check engine light, seatbelt light ect). No click of the starter relay, and the starter doesn't engage. I jumped the starter relay and got the starter going, it turned the engine over but didn't start it. I replaced the starter relay and still no luck.

I suspect that the EFI system isn't getting any power. I looked for blown fuses but I can't seem to find a fuse relating to the ignition system. Like I said before I have no power going to the cluster when I turn the key. I suspect a blown fuse somewhere, but don't know where to look.

The night that the system failed I had a bit of smoke as well as a burnt electrical smell come from under the hood.

Any insight into my little problem would be appreciated.

Tom

Reply to
Tom M

There are a number of fusible links under the hood which could have blown.

If there is a short somewhere, you need to find it before you replace the fusible link. You need to start with where you have power at the fuse box and where you don't. If you don't have a volt meter and know how to use it

stop here and find someone that does.

Multiple fusible links come off of the starter relay. There is a main one by the IRC. This is the upper radiator area (remove the plastic cover above the radiator for access).

You really need the shop EVTSM manual for the schematics and connector locations. Good luck. You might get lucky with close inspection.

BOB

Reply to
BOB URZ

Found and changed the defective link.