97 Taurus Wagon - big yellow wire

I was installing a remote starter in the wife's 97 Taurus wagon and was tapping into a big yellow wire from the ignition harness. It was live when the key was in accessory, run and start positions. Battery was still hooked up (as per instructions in the installation guide) but I touched the bare wire to a ground a shorted it out. Now the wipers and the speedometer don't work and that yellow wire is no longer live ever. All fuses related to the wipers are still good. No power to the fusebox at the wiper plug. Wipers work when I patch power to the fuse panel from another live wire. No other weird symptoms, all other systems are fine.

Anybody know where that yellow wire goes and what it does? Could it have an inline fuse somewhere?

Reply to
Eric Janzen

Maxi fuse in distribution box above radiator. See the owner's manual.

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

I checked the maxi fuses and didn't find any marked "wipers". Switched the relays around to see if that was the problem - it wasn't. Shone the trouble light through the fuses and couldn't see any that were bad. But... after reading your reply, I went back and popped the fuse box out of it's clips, took the back off, saw where the yellow wire went in and pulled that fuse. Sure 'nuff, it had blown. $5 later and the problem is solved.

Eric Janzen