Check Engine Light 3.8L 1994 Ford Taurus

The check engine light comes on every once in a while on my 1994 Ford Taurus GL with a 3.8L engine. I have been having to add transmission fluid to the car, I make the levels do not go below the cross-hatched area on the dipstick.

Could this make the check engine light come on? It will come on either driving up a hill or going down a hill. I live in a mountainous area and there really isn't any flat areas.

Reply to
carolyn007

carolyn007 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Well, Carolyn... if the lite comes on, there will be a code stored.

Find an autoparts store that reads out codes and post them here... do NOT just let them sell you the fix. Do not just accept their definition, post the exact codes.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Not really on the same topic, but mine has been coming on and then going off by itself after a few days. When the light is off is the code still there? There is nothing wrong with the car (96 Windstar) that I can tell. It starts and runs fine.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Duller

snipped-for-privacy@wi.rr.com (Tom Duller) wrote in news:

Yep... the code stays.

Have it read out. Typical of that 'CEL on and off' but car runs fine symptom, are DPFE/EGR problems.

Check the tubing running to the dpfe sensor to start, have the codes read and report here.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Thank you! Is this something that can wait a few weeks? I don't have time (or money) to spend on this for a while.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Duller