'Check Engine' light is on - 1999 Ford Escort - what can it mean?

Hi, My 'Check Engine' light is on and I don't have a lot of money to have the car repaired. Any ideas what could cause this?

Reply to
vgps68

Something wrong with the engine, exhaust system or emission control system.

The check engine light is part of the on-board diagnostics (OBD-Ii) that all cars since 1996 have. There are some trouble codes that go along with this that can be read. You have the trouble codes read at AutoZone and other auto parts stores, usually for free.

Go to one of these places, have the codes read, *write down* the exact codes, including all the numbers (not just the description), and report back to us. Although I am totally useless at it, others in this group can explain what the codes mean and what the likely causes are.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

You need to have a code scanner hooked up to it. A lot of parts stores will do these for free.

Reply to
Sophie

Get the codes scanned at an Autozone or other parts store that offers this service and post the exact code numbers here or at

Ford Escort Owners Association.

Reply to
sleepdog

Also, one of the things it can mean on a Ford is that the gas cap is loose.

But yeah, go get yer codes read. Could mean anything.

~e.

Reply to
visions of effty