Did You Know

I recently bought a 2004 left over mustang for my 79 year old Mother (She chose whatever car she wanted) She is having a bit of difficulty seeing the speedometer in bright sunshine and wanted the white face gauges like in my Thunderbird. No problem, Ford sells the part, yea its expensive, but mom will only be driving one or two years, and I ride with her every few weeks to check her driving. go to my friendly Ford dealer ready to plop down over $300, and guess what I'm told? Changing from black face gauges to white face gauges is a modification and could void the warrantee. It's only a inert inactive piece of plastic white vs. black. I was told that upgrading my wife's mustang from 16 in wheels to 17 in would also void the warrantee even if I bought the Bullett wheels from Ford, and used the same size tires as on the GT. Called Customer Service at Ford, guess what? It's true. Ain't this a great country or what.....

Reply to
Craig Shaffer

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

As far as I know only if the modifications are related to the repair needed.

If you put 20" rims on your car your wheel bearings wont be covered if they take a dump, but your shorted out door lock actuator would still be covered.

Johan

Reply to
johanb

It would seem to me that the biggest problem caused by changing the speedomter is the loss of the correct odometer reading. I'd say if the dealer does the switch, there should be no problem. If you do the switch, well, then Ford could always claim you did the switch to disquise the actual mileage in an attempt to "extend" your warranty. I suggest that you buy one of the aftermarket white face gague decal kits. It will be cheaper and not affect the odometer's integrity.

Making unapproved modifications to a vehcile can affect your warranty. However, it can only affect the warranty on parts related to the modification. For instance, replacing the factory radio with a Boom-Master 3000 watt stero might void the warranty on the factory speakers, it will not void the warranty on the transmission. However, in your case, the proposed modification affects everything since it can potentially obliterate the correct mileage recorded by the odometer.

A local farmer got clever and pulled the electrical connector to the speedometer on his truck. He though this would allow him to pile up the miles, without having them show. About the same time he started having transmission shifting problems. What he didn't understand was that this was related to unplugging the speedometer. What was worse, when he took it back to complain, he didn't plug the speedomter back in. The mechanic figured out the problem was caused by the unplugged speedomter, pluged it in, and noted the problem in the computer. Chrysler then told the truck owner his warranty was void becasue of odometer tampering. Eventually the dealer got this recinded (claimed it was a failure, not deliberate) but the guy was sweating for a while. Moral of the story, don't mess with the odometer.

Regards,

Ed White Craig Shaffer wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White

If the only thing you are replacing is the guage overlay, then there should be no affect on the warranty. If you are replacing the speedometer/odometer, then the dealer should be able to certify to replacement which is accompanied by a sticker on the doorjam to indicate the mileage on the original at the time of the replacement, thereby, providing the correct mileage as required.

The Magnesun-Moss law provides that warranty coverage cannot be denied to components unrelated to the modification. That would include the wheels and tires as long as they are provided as an option on otherwise similar vehicles. Me thinks your dealer is overly protective of his rear. BTW, dealers around here make some big bucks doing these kinds of mods. The ones the Ford dealer won't do, a rice popper dealer will.

Reply to
lugnut

Transmission, ABS, traction control could all be affected by having the wrong size tires on the car.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

When I bought my 03 Grand Marquis the first thing I did was yank out the wimpy single exhuast and install a dual flowmaster system. My dealer actually did it for me, they were cheaper than the Speedy Muffler shop right next door. They used the Flowmasters that I bought and used the pipes from a wrecked Maureder. It was a great deal.

Jake

Reply to
M Hayes529

If there is a problem that is caused by installing the $300 peice of plastic, then your warranty for that particular damage would not be valid. If you engine blows out, the warrenty will still be valid.

Likewise, for problems caused by installing the wheels, the warranty would be not be valid. But if if the problems are not caused by installing the wheels, the warranty would still be valid. Besides, if there is a problem, just put the old wheels back on.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff