Dies after jump start cable disconnect

Reply to
tinley

Ah... brushes wore out. Will happen between 165 and 200,000

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Funny you should ask that...I'm not the OP, but you made me think of something funny (well not to me, but you can laugh).

My 96 Windstar had the original battery in it until last year. 9 years old. Never heard of such a long life. Every fall for the last several years I thought I ought to replace it, but never did. It never gave me a reason to.

Oddly enough I indirectly killed it when I jumped my old Toyota when I sold it to a guy for a few hundred bucks.

Got a spark when disconnecting the cables and killed the alternator, took the battery with it soon after. I spent all the money the guy gave me and then some fixing it.

I'll always wonder how long that battery might have lasted...

Tom

Reply to
Tom Duller

I recall seeing with my own eyes a 1974 Dodge Dart with the original Mopar battery in 1989. It would still start the car as long as the motor didn't have to turn more than about 3 times (summer of course). The need for a tune up found, and of course doomed, the battery. Little old lady, etc...

Reply to
Tom Adkins