Dumb electrical question for an '87 Ford Escort

I was recently replacing a timing belt on my 87 Ford Escort. I was first told by my father-in-law that taking the oil pan off would give us access to the timing belt. This turned out not to be true, but he removed the oil pan himself and had to take off the starter to get to it. I was off at work during all this, and wasn't aware of all that he did. It worked fine for a while, and then it started whirring when I would try to start it. I would try again, sometimes it would start, sometimes not. I was able to push start it, so I checked the starter. The power wire was loose, so I tightened it and it seemed to work a couple times. Then the problem popped up again. I would wiggle the wire and all would seem to be fine. Yesterday it failed to start again. I looked a little closer and noticed that the ground cable from the battery was actually disconnected. From what I can figure, this ground cable was laying on top of the other cable and wherever it was, it happened to be getting a good connection. Sometimes the shaking of the engine would move it away from it's contact and at other times, wiggling the wire it was on top of would make the connection complete. I am unable to find the point where it is making a good connection and was wondering if anybody could tell me where this cable attaches to. Currently there is only a power cable running to the starter. The mounting bracket on the starter has a bolt, I thought that it connected there, but no luck.

Reply to
deep_logic

Im a little confused but the neg battery cable will usually go to a ground on the engine. most likely under a bolt you guys took off during your repairs :)

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

I believe I found the problem. My father in law said he removed it from a bolt that connected to a bracket holding the power cable, with the power cable having separate tubing around it. I am going only on what he said, but I have hooked the wire back up and still nothing. I used a volage meter and got a little over 10 volts, so I'm guessing the connections are good. I have taken the starter off, and am taking it to a local repair shop for testing. I did a freespin, and got nothing. They tested the car while running (which I have to push off), and said the starter was good, but another employee told me that they person running the machine probably did the test wrong, and that that test wasn't all that reliable anyway. I will be taking the disconnected starter by in the morning to get tested, then I will have a definite answer on the part. I read a post on another site that raised a problem similiar to mind. Someone told him that the varying voltage sent to the starter caused the it to go bad. With the core, I can get the part for $41, so it's not a bad investment.

Thanks for the post, Aaron Smith

ShoeSalesman wrote:

Reply to
deep_logic