Head Gasket 92 Cougar

Greetings All, I have a 92 Cougar, 3.8 tht needs a new head gasket. I'm looking for feedback on any potential 'sticky spots' that I may encounter, any tips to help the job go along as smoothly as possible, and any special tools that I may need. I have replaced several components on this car in the past year (water pump, tires, brakes, rear shocks), and feel it's wiser to repair than to replace with some other clunker. Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Reply to
jbtaurus98

jbtaurus98 opined in news:jdvNd.1908$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

Go to a parts store that sells Fel-Pro gaskets and get the appropriate best one.

Take your heads to a GOOD rebuild/Machine shop and have the heads trued and finished, must be VERY "shiny" on the face, so that they can "slide" a little on expansion/contraction.

Assume you may have had coolant in the oil.

Use Mobil 1 (not just "any Synth", though Amsoil is probably better) and you probably wont have catastrophic bearing failure resulting from the erosion damage to the bearings.

Bearing seize is caused by coked oil breaking loose. Oil cokes by being adjacent to ridges overheated by friction. Mobil 1 doesnt coke nearly as quickly.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic