Marquis interlock replacement question

Is the interlock switch for the Grand Marquis easy to find and replace? Is this a dealer part?

Any help is appreciated.

This is the switch that connects when you press the brake pedal before you shift into gear. Mine must be busted because I can't move shifter into gear. So I've starting it in neutral.

JaKe Seattle

Reply to
jkdrummer

It's 99.9% certain that the problem is not with the interlock, but with the brake switch. The brakes must be applied for the shift interlock to allow the shift lever to move. If the brake switch fails, and they're notorious for it, the interlock will keep the lever locked in P.

Be careful, you may not have any brake lights either.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I suspect what you are looking for is the brake light switch since that is usually what fails. It is not hard to find mounted on the brake pedal lingage under the dash. If you are reasonable mechanically astute, you should be able to locate and swap it out in less than 10 minutes unless yours has a sound insulation panel that must be removed. Not special tools are needed to removed the retainer clip.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut