Mercury Question

I have a question regarding resetting the "Oil Change Necessary" message on my wife's 05 Mountaineer. I have to assume that it's the same as a Ford Explorer. I lucked out on the last oil change and was able to reset it but I can't seem to do it again. Help is appreciated.

Reply to
Franknphilly

Two words.... owners manual.....

IIRC, press the menu button on the message center until the message appears... follow the prompts.... I don't work on gassers very often... guess where I look????

Reply to
Jim Warman

Now.....if it were covered in the owners manual, do you think I'd take the time to post the question?

The procedure is not intuitive either.

There are no prompts other than "To reset hold down reset button" which doesn't work.

This vehicle has always had a wacky electrical system: Heated seats come on for no reason, tire pressure warning light comes on when tires are properly inflated, etc. Perhaps there's a malfunction in the message center. The miles until empty function is never even close and often just goes haywire. repairing those things are way over my head. Time for a trip to the dealership.

Reply to
Franknphilly

For some reason I can't access the Mountaineer owners manual for your MY... However, page 90 of the Explorer manual covers the procedure... while it may be a little terse, it isn't hard....

Press the setup button until the oil change message appears.... do what it tells you....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks Jim, It doesn't work. As I suspected, there's a gremlin in there somewhere.

Reply to
Franknphilly