Mondeo Ghia X 1996

Mondeo Ghia X 1996 I am in the UK, I had the refridgerant replaced 2 years ago and been ok since. I again had it replaced last week, it was ok driving away, today the compressor clutch is not coming on at all. What is the likely cause? Seals? and how difficult is this for diy replacement?

Reply to
John McLean

Hiya,

The clutch won't come in if it's either too low on gas pressure or if it's too high, so guess you have to find out which it is first. Maybe the hot weather we have here (ha!) has upped the pressure a bit or maybe a stone has gone through the radiator at the front and lost it all. Will the place you went to last week not give you a pressure test?

pottsy

Many thanks for the response, I am going to frig the low/high pressure switch on the system later today; and if the compressor clutch comes in, the system should start cooling if there is refrigerant. If there is cooling, it probably means that the refrigerant pressure is either too low or too high, but importantly; that there is refrigerant. I can then go back to the garage and complain and ask them to do a pressure test. They tell me that their refilling unit is automatic and foolproof; but SISO!, I think that they weigh the refrigerant but I don't know how critical the exact weight is, there is a plate at the engine, with some technical details including the weight and type of refrigerant. This is a garage and this service is a sideline for them. BTW, the mileage on the Mondeo is only 55000 and in top condition.

Reply to
John McLean

the likely cause is a leak. (low pressure) Could be a seal, could be a hose, ....I would take it back and bitch a little so they will take a look at it. You can often find a leak by looking for oil and dirt around the offending area.

Reply to
ShoeSalesman

check the ----SCHRADER ---- ( did I spell that OK ????:-) )valves where they charged the system, they might be contaminated and leaking

Like shoe said, check for a oily substance

Reply to
JohanB