my 93 taurus won't start

Well I just discovered that mine is a CCD TFI module and so not subject to the same specs as pretty much everything I've been reading. eg #4 wire from the bottom on the module harness is not a

12V in start wire but is instead a IDM or Ignition Diagnostic Monitor wire that goes right to the computer. That means almost everything I've been trying to do to figure out my no start condition has been wrong or useless. Frustrating!!! Anyway, 93 3.0l OHV won't start and single spark straight from the coil when I try to start it. I'm thinking PIP or maybe TFI module. It's not the coil, I'm pretty sure because now I have 2 of those and the likelihood they're both bad is pretty low. Almost identical problem was posted here for a 94 back in 2002 with no resolution. If I get this figured out, I promise I'll come back and post a solution. Any help or ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!!
Reply to
Rybins

You either have spark or you don't. Put a timing light on it. Does it light when you turn over the engine or not?

If not, check the voltages at the TFI modules per the manual. If there OK, either your TFI module is bad or the coil pickup in the distributor.

I have had both a coil go bad and a TFI module in my tauri. Both disabled the car when it happened.

I would change the TFI module first and see what happens.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Urz

Reply to
Rybins

Reply to
Rybins

You may want to check the oil pump or pickup tube for wear or plugging. This can cause too much drag on the oil pump drive, thus wearing the dizzy gear like you described. That distributor gear won't wear like that for no reason. That was a symptom, not THE problem.

Reply to
Tom Adkins