Ranger not running right

Hi,

I have a 1988 Ranger XLT with 2.9 V-6. I last drove this truck a week ago and it was running fine (as always) when I parked it in the garage. Today when I went to start it up I found that it won't hardly run. When I turn the key to the "on" position you can hear the pump priming for a couple seconds. Then when turning the key to the start position the truck will start up and die immediately. If I prime the pump several times by turning the key off and on over and over the truck seems to run a few seconds longer before it dies. You can keep it running by keeping on the gas but as soon as you let up it dies. It smokes like it's burning rich when you keep it running. Also the check engine light is on.

I was going to change the fuel filter but I can't even find the damn thing. I found a black cannister mounted to the frame, but there is no filter in it. In front of that is the fuel pump. Where's the hecks the filter? This is driving me NUTS! This thing was running fine when I parked it.

Also during the week that it was not being used we had a cold spell which had the temperatures to 12 below. It is now in the 40's. It has a full tank of gas.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DMS

Reply to
Donna

It sounds like the BARO sensor- just replaced one on a friends truck, was doing the same thing. Try unplugging it ; if it runs better, at idle anyway, it probably needs replacing.

Reply to
Ted

I think I was on a wild goose chase. Here's the latest:

I decided to actually drive the truck and see if it would get me stranded or not. Turns out that the truck is acting up only when it is idling (or trying too). When going through the gears it runs fine. In other words when I'm going up a hill it runs good. When I'm cruising on a level surface it is misfiring some. When I let up to coast down the hill it dies. I think it is flooding when idling. It smokes like crazy and smells rich.

DMS

Reply to
Donna

I installed a new fuel pressure regulator and tried unplugging the Baro sensor this morning. No change unfortunately. I really thought the regulator would take care of it.

Someone here in town suggested trying a new ignition module. What do you think the chances of it being that? It looks like the distributor would have to be pulled to disconnect the screws that hold it in place. If I thought that would fix the problem I wouldn't be against tackling that.

DMS

Reply to
Donna