Re: Advice on a 1978 Ford in-line 6 4-speed van

I am searching for engine spec of Ford Escort 1300 GT. Can anybody supply me with the data? Thank you in advance.

d wrote:

I have been looking for vans lately and found an old (1978) Ford van > with a rebuilt engine and manual transmission. Apparently the engine > was rebuilt 30,000 miles ago and a new manual transmission was > installed recently. > > I have always preferred manuals, and these are rare. Does anyone know > anything about this sort of van? I cannot > find anything in the literature on it. > > Fuel economy? > Drive-ability? > Towing capacity? > Steering? > Problems? > > I have not seen the van yet (that's tomorrow), but I would like to > know more > about it so I can ask intelligent questions. > > Thanks in advance.
Reply to
kmn

They ain't that rare...

Does anyone know

Depends on weight, tune, and your foot...

I've never had any trouble driving one...

The six will tow, but I wouldn't count on hauling a huge rv without a few power issues. The sixes have torque o-plenty though. It'll tow smaller to medium loads no problem.

Depends on the condition of the front end and steering parts. I'd want to check the whole front end, including kingpins or ball joints. Check all bushings, etc.

You'll find out as they occur... Overall, a ford van with a six is pretty reliable if it's right. I have a 300 and a four speed in my old

68 F-250. I'm not going to win races, but the sixes will run nearly forever if you keep them up. I have enough torque to rip trees from the ground. And that "max" torque is fairly constant from about 1400 rpm to about 2400 rpm. MK
Reply to
Mark Keith