Re: Barrett-Jackson classic car auction

I can't believe that Shelby went that cheap. There were a few good deals > to be had.

Are you talking about the "new" Shelby or one of the kit cars? I do not recall seeing any of the really collectable Shelby racers. Claud

Reply to
Claud Spinks

No, it was a GT 500 convertible that went for either 60 or 68, and they said they expected it to go closer to 100.

Reply to
John Alt

Reply to
Claud Spinks

What got me was the insane bids on a couple of kit/rebuilt cars. I mean - sorry - but a kit car worth over $50K? Must be some good stuff they're smoking.

Also, the sheer number of cars with altered equipment is shocking. It's nearly impossible to find a stock vehicle anymore - especially on european vehicles or less collectable ones(say a Buick Skylark convertable).

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

What was really insane was the bid on the the 1968 Chevy Camaro Z-28. That car was restored for $60,000 and it was the actual value of the car. Those crazy rich chevy guys kept bidding and bidding and the guy in a yellow jacket bought it for something like $125,000. If he were to sell that car, he would only get what the car is actually worth, $60,000. The Jaguars sold pretty well at good prices and the prices were just about right. Could have been a little more. There were 4 Callaway Corvettes and they were all sold to the same guy!

~CyberWolf

Reply to
CyberWolf

There were 4 Callaway Corvettes and they were all sold

Not the guy in the yellow jacket though.

~CyberWolf

Reply to
CyberWolf

Finally got off my butt (after I took a nap) and looked in a couple of my books. In 1968 Ford took over production of the Mustang Shelbys (the one we are talking about had a 390 not a 429, my bad.) This is the point where some collectors believe the real Shelbys ended. Still a nice car and one I would gladly accept if someone wanted to give me one. I agree with you on the kit cars. You slap a famous name on something and suddenly is is supposed to be more valuable. One thing after watching this and other shows. My old life crises will be a 30's to 40's Ford street rod. Claud

1987 Mustang GT Convertible 2000 Mustang GT 1965 Mustang Coupe 1993 Ford Conversion Van 2002 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab (it was a good deal)

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

Reply to
Claud Spinks