so what's new for the ford 500?

2005 Mustang Lincoln LS Wheelbase 107.1 in 114.5 Track, front 62.6 60.6 Track, rear 62.8 60.8 Length 187.6 193.9 Width 72.1 73.2 Height 54.5 56.1

Suspension

2005 Mustang Front ind, strut located by a control arm, coil springs, anti-roll bar Rear rigid axle located by 3 trailing links and a Panhard rod, coil springs, anti-roll bar

Lincoln LS Front ind, unequal-length control arms, coil springs, anti-roll bar Rear ind, unequal-length control arms, coil springs, anti-roll bar

STEERING

2005 Mustang Type rack-and-pinion with hydraulic power assist

Lincoln LS Type - Speed-sensitive variable power-assisted rack-and-pinion

BRAKES

2005 Mustang Type hydraulic with vacuum power assist and anti-lock control Front 12.4 in vented disc (GT) Rear 11.8 in vented disc

Lincoln LS Front 11.8 in vented disc Rear 11.3 in vented disc

Take a close look at the picture of the bare "chassis" and then go look at your Lincoln LS - The engine compartment and front suspension mounting locations aren't even remotely the same. Your statement about using the "same hard points" is simply false. I have no idea where you are getting this misinformation.

(be sure to notice the "new from the ground up" quote inthis Ford article) - "A Chassis Born to Run

"The purpose-built, muscle-car chassis is , with a state-of-the-art front suspension and precise, three-link rear axle with Panhard rod. Combined with direct, accurate steering and powerful disc brakes, Mustang now has what it takes to catapult the American muscle-car driving experience to the next level."

(thesequotes are based on Ford press releases) "The starting point is an all-new, purpose-built, muscle-car platform with exceptional body stiffness and a very high strength-to-weight ratio. With this ultra-rigid structure, Mustang engineers could tune spring, damping and bushing rates to a finer degree than ever possible."

"Mustang engineers settled on using a coil-over MacPherson strut front suspension with reverse "L" lower control arms made of lightweight I-section steel. MacPherson struts ? originally developed in the 1940s by Earl S. MacPherson, a Ford engineer ? are widely renowned for their ability to deliver both comfort and control with reduced weight."

(notice again - "all-new") "Based on an all-new, fully modern body structure and chassis system featuring advanced MacPherson struts and a three-link live axle with Panhard rod, Mustang boasts an overall ride sophistication unmatched by any of its ancestors. Its braking and handling are nothing short of world class."

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

You sure go to a lot of trouble to convince yourself you are right. You must have a lot of free time or you log in on your bosses time. Like I said you are free to believe what you wish and I'm not going to debate the un debatable, I would just ask you a few questions. Why did you not publish the comparison between those two and the T-Bird and Jag? Would you not find similar differences? Surely you are not going to suggest they use a different platform? Where the Contour and Mystique not built an 'all new' platforms as well? Did they not use the same platform as the European Mondeo? Did the Probe and Mazda not use the same platform, yet appear to be completely different vehicles? Did the FWD Continental not have Speed sensitive variable power assisted rack-and-pinion steering and use a Taurus platform that did not? Does the LS not have different engine mounts for the V8 and the V6?

'Mustang engineers settled on using a coil-over MacPherson strut front suspension with reverse "L" lower control arms made of lightweight I-section steel,' don't you agree that simply means we use a much less expensive set up on this 20K vehicle than the expensive cast aluminum setup we use on our 35K vehicle?

The last paragraph says it all. Did it not occur to you that ALL NEW simply means all new to Mustang, not to FMC?

mike hunt

"C. E. White" wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

From: DustyRhoades

BobaBird

Geez, Could you post one shred of evidnece that the 2005 Mustang is based on the LS. Just saying it over and over doesn't make it true.

As for the Jag and Thunderbird - They use the same basic suspension as the LS (although the T-bird chassis is shortened), the Mustang doesn't. They use the same engine family as the LS, the Mustang doesn't. In fact, the 4.6L Mod engine won't fit in any of the LS paltform cars.

Here are the raw numbers:

2005 Mustang Lincoln LS Jag S Type T-Bird Wheelbase 107.1 in 114.5 114.5 107.2 Track, front 62.6 60.6 60.4 60.5 Track, rear 62.8 60.8 60.7 60.2 Length 187.6 193.9 192.0 186.3 Width 72.1 73.2 71.6 72.0 Height 54.5 56.1 56.0 52.1

Ed

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Reply to
C. E. White