Synthetic Motor Oil?

Picked up a 5 qt container of Mobil 1 at my local Wal Mart the other day for $18.88

I've been using the FL-820S Motorcraft filters on my 4.6 Ford since day one. Under $3 across from oil.

When I contemplate what the negative possibilities are allowing a barely skilled oil changer guy to do my oil vs me doing it myself I always end up doing it myself even though the filter on the 4.6 in a 95 T-Bird is in a lousy spot to reach compared to my other two cars. Plus while I am waiting for the oil to fully drainoout of the engine I get a chance to look around underneath for other unexpected troubles.

Problems my family has had with quick change lube joints:

Oil not changed Filter not changed drain plug cross threaded drain plug put in too tight and stripped threads drain plug too loose (leaking oil) no oil put back in car something else broken while changing oil told something else is broken to sell some "sale" item like batteries. car interior gunked up free car wash with oil change. Car wash chews up rear wiper arm on back window of Explorer

Reply to
Steve Stone

Reece Talley opined in news:CNf5b.6638$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Fram arent "just fine" for most who actually LOOK at how the things are built.

But they work most of the time and I'm sure they dont have metal shavings in them anymore.. plus it's your car.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Steve, you are a master of understatement. The Ford engineer who designed the apparatus around the location of the oil filter probably is still laughing uncontrollably to this day.

Try Valvoline Instant Oil Change where they failed to replace the differential plug. The manager would not own up to it and my 86 year old mother-in-law didn't want to go through the hassle of suing. Cost her nearly $700 to have all the rear-end bearings replaced. I wanted to rip the manager's head off.

Reply to
getupand

Actually, probably nobody realized the problem until it was too late.

And I bet the engineer would be more likely to cry about it than laugh about it.

That could happen anywhere, not just valvoline. Of course, the manager could fail to own up to it anywhere.

My neighbor is the manager at one of the places. I send the car with him. That way, I know for him to get it home, it has to be right. Besides, he is a good guy.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Folks, the engine and chassis engineers probably never met. That 4.6/5.4 modular V-8 was designed for front-wheel drive applications, then was shoehorned into the RWD Panther platform on the '91-up Town Car and the '92-up C/V and GM. I can only imagine what the Panther and MN-12 chassis folks said when they learned what they were getting to replace their Windsor V-8s!

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Or the Ford dealer in Greer, SC who changed the oil in my mother's Contour and failed to replace the oil filler cap. She calls me in a panic when her car starts belching white smoke from under the hood while sitting in a bank drive-thru lane.

Reply to
The Ghost of General Lee