2000 Focus - Rear (5th) door lock?

Hi All,

The back door (5th door) on our focus sw will no longer shut (lock doesn't work and the door is unlatched.) Before we go buying an new lock for the rear door, does anybody have any similar experience?

Also curious to know if there is one fuse for all the door locks?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Gard

Rich Gard

lock might need realigning , contacts might need cleaning

Reply to
Steve Robinson

In message , Rich Gard wrote

Search the Google news archives for those with similar problems.

The lock may just need re-aligning rather than replacing.

This will not be the problem but the answer is yes. Unfortunately it is the most difficult fuse to find. It's on the _back_ of the fuse panel located inside the car - and it's carefully hidden in the wiring on the back of the panel :( On a European focus the fuse panel is behind the glove box and on a north American model I believe that the panel behind a cover somewhere in the drivers foot-well.

Reply to
Alan

The fuse is required to open it the lock, not close it.

I have the same problem with my 2001 5 door. Sometimes the lock physically sticks in the open position. The lock mechanism is a two part affair. The first bit rotates in when it hits the catch and the second bar then move across to lock the first part. On mine this second bar gets stuck back. Sometimes if I keep pressing the tailgate release there will be a click and it will free its self. Sometimes its get the screwdrivers out. It probably happens every six months or so and it only takes me 10 seconds to free it.

To free mine I rotate the main catch in and then give a gentle prod to the locking bar. I really should go and buy a new lock.

Graham

Reply to
GO

Hi and thanks to everyone who responded. I ended up having to replace the locking mechanism in the door. It was easy enough to do.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Gard